Surgery a few days ago, was doing great, now lethargic

Pics

Ccort

Crowing
Dec 30, 2021
Kentucky, USA
My pullet had surgery last Friday for an oviductal impaction. She seemed to be doing great. However, today, she is suddenly very lethargic. I don't know what is wrong. The vet who did surgery is two and a half hours away. Advice?

Decreased appetite as well. Stool looks normal. Her crop is nearly empty. 26 weeks old. She cannot seem to keep her eyes open, she's so fatigued/lethargic.

I gave her probiotic water with a bit of sugar added in. Put her back on the antibiotic/antiinflammatory prescribed by vet.

Still, advice appreciated.

Last edited:
Here she is...just standing there, eyes closed. This is how she's been most of the day. She is making some very quiet noises, seemingly as she sleeps.

Could this be worms? She started out on medicated chick starter, now on Kalmbach All Flock.

Attachments

• PXL_20221001_184158276.jpg
    PXL_20221001_184158276.jpg
    533.5 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
My reply looks all messed up.

I asked what would even cause her to go into shock and how to get her to drink.
Try holding the water to her, very gently lift it so that the tip of her beak is dipped in the water. If she will let you near, that is. Keep it warm and dimly lit for her, try to reduce stress by keeping it quiet for her.
I don't know what we should do, honestly. But I hope, really hope, that she makes it.

@azygous @casportpony @Wyorp Rock
We need some help over here

Here she is...just standing there, eyes closed. This is how she's been most of the day. She is making some very quiet noises, seemingly as she sleeps.

Could this be worms? She started out on medicated chick starter, now on Kalmbach All Flock.
My gut feeling is that this is to do with her recovery from surgery, that seems likely. Surgery is a huge stress on the bird's body, and revovery isnt always easy.
My immediate response would be keeping her comfortable, keeping the environment as stress-free as possible, and trying to get her to drink.

Could you call your vet and ask them for advice?

My gut feeling is that this is to do with her recovery from surgery, that seems likely. Surgery is a huge stress on the bird's body, and revovery isnt always easy.
My immediate response would be keeping her comfortable, keeping the environment as stress-free as possible, and trying to get her to drink.

Could you call your vet and ask them for advice?
I called the vet and the refilled her antiinflammatory and her antibiotic. But the antiinflammatory is clearly not doing anything but has only had one antibiotic dose so far. Of course, they'll be closed tomorrow.
She seemed great for the past week (surgery was a week ago) until today.
I tried giving her scrambled eggs but zero reaction. I can hear her belly growling.
Her last stool was now very runny and whitish.
She's barely drinking at all, very minimal. Showing no interest.

Back
Top Bottom