10 days post impacted crop surgery, crop won’t clear

SarahBarah0610

In the Brooder
Aug 9, 2023
My 2 year old hen had impacted and sour crop, it wouldn’t clear after our attempts at home so we took her in for surgery. Her crop was clearing bit by bit but her appetite was horrible. (possibly from her antibiotics?)
We’ve tried: Yogurt, eggs, cottage cheese, watered mash, fermented feed, bananas, and so much more soft foods
The only food she will eat it blueberries and zucchini.
This morning her crop was still pretty full of zucchini from yesterday. Not sure why this could be. We did a full parasite cleanse on her too.
Any ideas of what could be the cause of this? I really don’t want to lose my girl. :(
Thank you.

What breed is she? If she is a breed that is bred to lay as many eggs as possible (Leghorn, golden comet, etc.) than it may be a reproductive issue that is stopping her further down the line. Or it could even be that for a non commercial egg laying breed. I am not the best at possible issue identifying, however those are my thoughts for the time being. Lets see what @Eggcessive thinks is the possible issue as they are a ton more knowledgeable.

Crop stasis (slow crow) which can lead to crop impaction, can be caused by reproductive or other infections, ascites, worms and other issues. I have never done crop surgery, but it seems that a lot of people experience slow crops again after surgery. Did she have anesthesia for the procedure, or not? I would stop any people foods except for maybe watery egg and plain yogurt, and just feed some extremely watery chicken feed when her crop is emptying overnight. Water with electrolytes and vitamins though should be given even if it is full. What was found in the crop during surgery? Does she have any signs of a reproductive disorder? What meds is she on?

What breed is she? If she is a breed that is bred to lay as many eggs as possible (Leghorn, golden comet, etc.) than it may be a reproductive issue that is stopping her further down the line. Or it could even be that for a non commercial egg laying breed. I am not the best at possible issue identifying, however those are my thoughts for the time being. Lets see what @Eggcessive thinks is the possible issue as they are a ton more knowledgeable.
We believe she is a frizzle easter egger. She was a surprise chick so that’s our best bet. We suspect she had a bad case of feather mites. Her back was completely bald, her feathers were stopped into sticks and she stopped laying eggs a while ago, so we attributed it to that.
We treated the whole flock with ivermectin, then she cleared up, her plumage looks fantastic. Yet her egg laying has not been consistent at all.

It could be related to her reproductive track

Crop stasis (slow crow) which can lead to crop impaction, can be caused by reproductive or other infections, ascites, worms and other issues. I have never done crop surgery, but it seems that a lot of people experience slow crops again after surgery. Did she have anesthesia for the procedure, or not? I would stop any people foods except for maybe watery egg and plain yogurt, and just feed some extremely watery chicken feed when her crop is emptying overnight. Water with electrolytes and vitamins though should be given even if it is full. What was found in the crop during surgery? Does she have any signs of a reproductive disorder? What meds is she on?
Thank you for your reply!
I had a feeling the people food would be hard to digest but that’s been the only thing she won’t turn her beak to. I would have most definitely taken my time with softer foods but seeing her energy decline from lack of food was hard to watch.
I will most definitely give her some electrolytes and vitamins.

Hay and grass was found in her crop, she was on anesthesia for the surgery.
It is possible that she has a reproductive disorder because of her very inconsistent laying.

She’s on a sulfamethoxazole antibiotic.

Afternoon update:
It must be a slow draining crop, because now her crop feels much smaller than earlier when she woke up. Shes been energetic today but only ate a bite mushed oatmeal.

Her usual completely balanced chicken feed could be watered down into a thin mush, and would be better than oatmeal for her. I hope that eventually her digestive system stars working well.

I had the same problem with my easter egger, eleanor. the antibiotic was the problem with her appetite. her crop was also not emptying after surgery. I made her a crop bra and learned how to do a molasses flush. It is 3 weeks post surgery and she is now having a flat crop in the mornings. She need to put weight back on now. The bra was on 24/7. It got to the point I feed her whatever she wanted. crickets, live meal worms, red wiggle worms, fruits/veg shredded. I also put a powdered probiotic on her crumbles because of the antibiotics and she had electrolyte water and regular water for 4 days.

I had the same problem with my easter egger, eleanor. the antibiotic was the problem with her appetite. her crop was also not emptying after surgery. I made her a crop bra and learned how to do a molasses flush. It is 3 weeks post surgery and she is now having a flat crop in the mornings. She need to put weight back on now. The bra was on 24/7. It got to the point I feed her whatever she wanted. crickets, live meal worms, red wiggle worms, fruits/veg shredded. I also put a powdered probiotic on her crumbles because of the antibiotics and she had electrolyte water and regular water for 4 days.
Hi, we are going through problems with our girl, she had crop surgery one week ago but her crop is still huge, she isn't eating or drinking much but I can persuade her with mushy crumb and pellets, I have given her electrolytes today. Can I ask did you take Eleanor off the antibiotics as we think that might be what is making Inka worse? Many thanks.

Hi, we are going through problems with our girl, she had crop surgery one week ago but her crop is still huge, she isn't eating or drinking much but I can persuade her with mushy crumb and pellets, I have given her electrolytes today. Can I ask did you take Eleanor off the antibiotics as we think that might be what is making Inka worse? Many thanks.
Yes, I dd. That would of been round 2 of antibiotics and I didn't feel she needed it. Her appetite returned.

Back
Top Bottom