Surgery a few days ago, was doing great, now lethargic

Pics
aww we are all pulling for her- she has been through a lot and you are a wonderful chicken parent!! Sending prayers and thoughts your way that she slowly continues to improve. You have some great advice from some wonderful and knowledgeable people on this thread. Love and care can go a long way with any health care situation. Keep doing what you are doing- she is looking better!!

Come on Maybelle!! you got this girl!!

:love

Last edited:
Ok, bought new yogurt and kefir. Still not really sure what kefir is, but I have it!
Should I give her normal food as well, just ground up with yogurt?

Also, would she be fine to just play in dirt outside? Maybe eat a bug? :)

I took her out to get some air and oh my! She dashes out of my arms and ran for the hills! It made me happy. I wish she could eat grass but am sure that's probably off limits!

Last edited:
I bought a Crop Bra online for one of my old hens who was having issues with her crop emptying (think it's pendulous) and it made an almost instant difference. Worth buying one imo if she is still having trouble emptying it. Just make sure when you put it on that it pushes the crop upwards towards her body and that it keeps the crop in front of her keel bone.

For my hen I just put it on her overnight and took it off in the morning for around a week. If I kept it on all day it would make her crop doughy, I assume because it was pushing fluids through faster while she was still eating. I still use it for her occasionally if it feels especially full and fluidy.

I bought a Crop Bra online for one of my old hens who was having issues with her crop emptying (think it's pendulous) and it made an almost instant difference. Worth buying one imo if she is still having trouble emptying it. Just make sure when you put it on that it pushes the crop upwards towards her body and that it keeps the crop in front of her keel bone.

For my hen I just put it on her overnight and took it off in the morning for around a week. If I kept it on all day it would make her crop doughy, I assume because it was pushing fluids through faster while she was still eating. I still use it for her occasionally if it feels especially full and fluidy.
How tightly do they wear it?

I would definitely let her have some outside time. Maybe let her see some some of her flock-mates on the other side of a fence. I think it helps if they see some of their normal life and know what they are fighting for.

I've never had any luck treating a sour crop. That being said, I have had a hen recover from sour crop on her own. I knew she had a bloated crop in the morning and a saw her vomiting up liquid. I decided to give her a day to see what happened and then cull her if I thought she was suffering. Lo and behold she started to improve and looked completely normal a few days later. I don't know how typical that is, but I'm putting it out there so you don't lose all hope.

She just ate some grit! I think that's a good thing?! Hoping food is next.

I did take her out, making sure she didn't eat grass. It makes her SO much happier.

She's seems to be doing amazingly well otherwise. You wouldn't know she was so, so sick a few days ago. Again, if we can just get past the sour crop now.

I am hoping so badly that her crop will be flat by morning. If it is not, is there anything the vet can do? Any further on my part?

How tightly do they wear it?
Tight enough to simply push the crop upwards without completely squashing it. For mine I can still just about fit a couple fingers underneath the strap but it's tight enough to not fall off or get caught on anything.

Also yes definitely don't let her have any grass/leaves for the moment imo, you don't want it potentially tangling with anything that is already in there and making it worse. I am wondering if it is also possible that anaesthesia used during surgery can temporarily reduce the crop's effectiveness - the same seemed to happen to one of mine after anaesthesia a few months ago. Live yoghurt like Kefir should hopefully also help introduce good bacteria to her crop.

Last edited:
I am hoping so badly that her crop will be flat by morning. If it is not, is there anything the vet can do? Any further on my part?
The vet just gave meds for the crop problem when? 2-3 days ago or something? Give the medications time to work. Crop problems rarely resolve overnight. You're just now into the middle of treatment.
Keep her hydrated and continue caring for her like you have been, don't change things up too much.

Back
Top Bottom