Surgery a few days ago, was doing great, now lethargic

Pics
I did end up tube feeding. She has lost weight though so planning to add more. I'm concerned about her lacking needed nutrients while essentially on this yogurt and raw egg diet.

Her poop is the same...runny and looks like the pic still below. She seems more tired today, which I'm concerned about.

Attachments

• PXL_20221006_145236738.jpg
    PXL_20221006_145236738.jpg
    346.7 KB · Views: 2
I did end up tube feeding. She has lost weight though so planning to add more. I'm concerned about her lacking needed nutrients while essentially on this yogurt and raw egg diet.

Her poop is the same...runny and looks like the pic still below. She seems more tired today, which I'm concerned about.
Can you make a really soupy pellet/water slurry and tube feed that?

ETA: Is she still getting vitamins? I find B complex really perks mine up.

Can you make a really soupy pellet/water slurry and tube feed that?

ETA: Is she still getting vitamins? I find B complex really perks mine up.
I've been trying but the tiny pellet bits get stuck in the syringe Im lucky to get 5ml but it gets stuck.
I've not given any vitamins. Should I do a multi?

I've been trying but the tiny pellet bits get stuck in the syringe Im lucky to get 5ml but it gets stuck.
I've not given any vitamins. Should I do a multi?
You might soak the pellets in lots of water until they turn to mush. I've also used a mortar and pestle and a spice grinder to pulverize the pellets. I only suggest it since she's been the yogurt/egg diet for a bit, and you seemed concerned. And vitamins might give her a lil energy.

You might soak the pellets in lots of water until they turn to mush. I've also used a mortar and pestle and a spice grinder to pulverize the pellets. I only suggest it since she's been the yogurt/egg diet for a bit, and you seemed concerned. And vitamins might give her a lil energy.
I've never used a spice grinder. I could get one and try that. I've been letting them soak but still aren't going through! Vitamins are a good idea. Just quite concerned that she seems pretty tired today.

Last edited:
I've never used a spice grinder. I could get one and try that. I've been letting them soak but still aren't going through! Vitamins are a good idea. Just quite concerned that she seems pretty tired today.
Im nust throwing out ideas. I haven't tube fed before, so I'm writing from a place of ignorance.

We're all pulling for you and Maybelle!
:fl

A spice grinder to make pellets a powder worked well for my hens when they are recovering from not eating.. but as some one mentioned you can do a mortar and pestle or hammer on a plastic bag in a dish towel since you probably have that at your house

Back
Top Bottom