Surgery a few days ago, was doing great, now lethargic

Pics
I'm no expert, but I know that the new layer of the beak will harden eventually to form a new upper half. However, this new layer is very tender, hence the bleeding and pinkness. It's like the "quick" of the beak. I personally wouldn't try to clean it, as I think it would hurt more than help her. Poor girl! She sure has been through a lot. I'm still praying for her to pull through!

Thank you. I'm worried holding her beak while tube feeding and giving meds will now hurt. Hopefully she'll start eating on her own.

She still won't eat on her own, will she? Then again, that might not make it any easier, because she probably doesn't want to peck anything.
No, she seemed interested in food a little today but wouldn't eat. If it's like the quick of a fingernail, I'm hoping it will heal fast?

No, she seemed interested in food a little today but wouldn't eat. If it's like the quick of a fingernail, I'm hoping it will heal fast?
You might want to make her food wet, and soupy. If her beak is feeling sensitive, this will be easier and more comfortable to eat. Perhaps you could reduce the amount of tube feedings, and see if she'll start snacking on the food on her own?

I am going to do just two tube feedings a day, which I need to do to complete her meds anyways.

However, I tube fed her and it made her beak bleed. Please see pic. :( Advice?

I made some mash for her last night and she sort of pecked at it but I imagine it hurts. With all she's gone through, I'm quite worried about decreasing her food intake!

Attachments

• PXL_20221016_131754304.jpg
    PXL_20221016_131754304.jpg
    301.8 KB · Views: 2
I am going to do just two tube feedings a day, which I need to do to complete her meds anyways.

However, I tube fed her and it made her beak bleed. Please see pic. :( Advice?

I made some mash for her last night and she sort of pecked at it but I imagine it hurts. With all she's gone through, I'm quite worried about decreasing her food intake!
Poor girl, life wont give her break. If you make the mash soupy, with cold water in, does she find that easier? Pecking at it is good, at least she's taking an interest.

My duck cracked her beak a while ago, not sure how similar this is, but it healed up real fast with a bit of care.
I'd make sure the water is kept really clean, and if you have some, you could apply a small amount of neosporin (or triple anitbiotic without pain relief) to the area that is broken (where it is bleeding). I do this with any beak scuffs or cracks, and they heal up real fast.

Its a tricky situation, because she does need her food and does need her meds, but you could hurt her beak in the process. I think you just have to be as gentle as possible and hope for the best. Take one thing at a time. This girlie is more than a fighter, and she's in good hands.

Back
Top Bottom