Surgery a few days ago, was doing great, now lethargic

What antibiotic is she on? What strength?

Do you have Poultry Nutri-drench? She needs that. Go get some from the feed store if you don't have it. It mainlines directly into the bloodstream.

Continue the sugar water and electrolytes. Every hour except when you have to sleep.

If you are capable of tube feeding, I would do that and include raw egg, Nitri-drench and the electrolytes in it. Keep her warm.

What antibiotic is she on? What strength?

Do you have Poultry Nutri-drench? She needs that. Go get some from the feed store if you don't have it. It mainlines directly into the bloodstream.

Continue the sugar water and electrolytes. Every hour except when you have to sleep.

If you are capable of tube feeding, I would do that and include raw egg, Nitri-drench and the electrolytes in it. Keep her warm.
She is on Meloxicam 7.5 mg..a fourth tab twice a day and sulfameth/trimeth 400-80 mg, fourth of a tab twice a day.
How much Ntri Dench should I give via syringe?
I have no clue how to tube feed.
Am I supposed to syringe her water?
Should I try Corid?

Look at this photo. This is how to syringe fluids into the crop. If you have any oxygen or aquarium tubing, you can make this operation more efficient by inserting a seven inch tube into the esophagus in this same manner, then syringing the fluids into the tube. It is much easier than syringing into the mouth since that requires reinsertion each time. The tube method is one time, and less stressful

There should be dosing instructions per weight on the bottle of Nutri-drench or just use a dropper full into the raw egg electrolyte mix. The convenient thing about tube feeding is the meds can all go in there with the liquids.

To insert either a tube or a syringe into the esophagus, you will hold the chicken firmly under your arm while prying her beak open. Then guide the syringe or tube into her right side of the mouth along the side, avoiding that hole in the center which is the airway. It helps to go slightly under the side of the tongue to avoid the airway, then gently and slowly into the esophagus . If tubing, you will insert about three inches or four if she's large, into the crop. Once the tube is in, the chicken usually calms down. The sensation of the crop filling is pleasant and further calms the chicken. If she squirms, hold her tightly until she calms, then continue. Try to get at least a fourth of a cup of the liquids into her.
2E58EFC7-81BD-4ADE-88BC-5E00F907A388_1_105_c.jpeg

My reply looks all messed up.

I asked what would even cause her to go into shock and how to get her to drink.
I'm sorry for being gone, I am back. It looks like someone else has answered the question about drinking.

If you need to tube feed here is an article that I found invaluable when I was medicating one of my sick chickens last year.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/

I worried about shock because a bird recovering from surgery might have an internal complication.

Look at this photo. This is how to syringe fluids into the crop. If you have any oxygen or aquarium tubing, you can make this operation more efficient by inserting a seven inch tube into the esophagus in this same manner, then syringing the fluids into the tube. It is much easier than syringing into the mouth since that requires reinsertion each time. The tube method is one time, and less stressful

There should be dosing instructions per weight on the bottle of Nutri-drench or just use a dropper full into the raw egg electrolyte mix. The convenient thing about tube feeding is the meds can all go in there with the liquids.

To insert either a tube or a syringe into the esophagus, you will hold the chicken firmly under your arm while prying her beak open. Then guide the syringe or tube into her right side of the mouth along the side, avoiding that hole in the center which is the airway. It helps to go slightly under the side of the tongue to avoid the airway, then gently and slowly into the esophagus . If tubing, you will insert about three inches or four if she's large, into the crop. Once the tube is in, the chicken usually calms down. The sensation of the crop filling is pleasant and further calms the chicken. If she squirms, hold her tightly until she calms, then continue. Try to get at least a fourth of a cup of the liquids into her.View attachment 3277803
About to try.

Opinion on the Corid?

Or opinion on what on earth is happening here?

As to what may be causing her to nose-dive, shock is one possibility. That's what the sugar and electrolytes will help. Infection may be another possibility. You would need to consult your vet to see if increasing the sulfa dosage is the proper thing to do or perhaps they will order a different antibiotic.

Treating for shock is the most important thing you can do for her. Sugar is one of the most valuable "medicines" we have for a chicken in a health crisis. Such a simple thing can pull a chicken back from the brink of death. Just did this with a hen of mine last week.
She just fell asleep while I was syringng her water. Can you give me an idea of how much water she needs? And how much sugar to actually add? (With it not being in a gallon container)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom