Surgery a few days ago, was doing great, now lethargic

Thanks all. Is there an antibiotic I can/should get from the store to add?
I would not add another medication.
Hopefully she will improve today, if not, then maybe the vet can see her tomorrow, or they can advise on the medications, possibly increase dosing or prescribe something else.

You were waiting on another report/analysis from the vet, did you get that?
I'm a bit confused, did they remove the oviduct or just the uterus? Perhaps a misunderstanding in poultry anatomy there or what the vet described to you?
The birth control/suprelorin/deslorelin if that's what was used, can take a while to go into effect, so she may still be ovulating.

Wishing you both the best.

I would not add another medication.
Hopefully she will improve today, if not, then maybe the vet can see her tomorrow, or they can advise on the medications, possibly increase dosing or prescribe something else.

You were waiting on another report/analysis from the vet, did you get that?
I'm a bit confused, did they remove the oviduct or just the uterus? Perhaps a misunderstanding in poultry anatomy there or what the vet described to you?
The birth control/suprelorin/deslorelin if that's what was used, can take a while to go into effect, so she may still be ovulating.

Wishing you both the best.
If she is in fact septic, can she really get better at this point, especially if not seen until tomorrow?

I did get her results back and they said all was normal. No cancer or anything like that. It was her uterus that was removed, the ectopic egg that was stuck and had begun collapsing in and then adhesions that they believe we're due to the egg seemingly have gone down to her ovary but then back up.

If she is in fact septic, can she really get better at this point, especially if not seen until tomorrow?

I did get her results back and they said all was normal. No cancer or anything like that. It was her uterus that was removed, the ectopic egg that was stuck and had begun collapsing in and then adhesions that they believe we're due to the egg seemingly have gone down to her ovary but then back up.
I don't know:(

Since she's on an antibiotic, it should be keeping infection from getting out of control, even though some bacteria could be growing. Your vet will be the best judge of if/when/how much change of dosage or type of med. We here at BYC are not here to replace the expertise of vets. More often we step in with our "educated" guesses and experience when no vet is available. A vet is almost always the best person to consult with.

Watch her comb. If it's turning purple, it could mean her organs are shutting down. Good red color should be a comforting sign. I think she's just hit a post surgical rough patch and an adjustment of her meds and getting some nourishment into her should get her past this.

Can we please have a photo of your hen showing her posture and her eyes? It can tell us how she may be feeling and how sick she may or may not be.

Since she's on an antibiotic, it should be keeping infection from getting out of control, even though some bacteria could be growing. Your vet will be the best judge of if/when/how much change of dosage or type of med. We here at BYC are not here to replace the expertise of vets. More often we step in with our "educated" guesses and experience when no vet is available. A vet is almost always the best person to consult with.

Watch her comb. If it's turning purple, it could mean her organs are shutting down. Good red color should be a comforting sign. I think she's just hit a post surgical rough patch and an adjustment of her meds and getting some nourishment into her should get her past this.

Can we please have a photo of your hen showing her posture and her eyes? It can tell us how she may be feeling and how sick she may or may not be.
Question on tube feeding (it scares me), should I mix yogurt/egg, Gatorade all together and give to her? Is any Gatorade fine? Also, where do you get the big thick syringe?
Here she is now. PXL_20221002_142413115.jpg

consider giving her the evening antibiotic dose even with a limited total supply. You can always have the vet give a refill, especially as he recommended the increase. Have him call it in to a local pharmacy if that helps.

First get the tubing. You will cut it down to about eight inches. Then you will need to find a syringe that fits into it. Drugs stores will more often than not be happy to find one that fits it and give it to you for free.

Tube feeding, you will quickly discover, is much easier and safer than syringe feeding. With the tube well down into the crop sack, there is no chance of aspiration as there can be with syringing into the mouth. Just push the slurry through slowly.

Then the trick will be to create a slurry that is liquid enough to push through the tubing. You will add more liquid if it is hard to push.

Use Gatoraid that has sugar in it, not the sugar free stuff, which does no good, even for athletes who drink it. The sugar is a big important ingredient. Warm the mixture to match her body temp so it's more comfortable as it fills her crop.

I promise you that once you tube feed this first time, you will be very comfortable with it. It only sounds scary. It's really quite fool proof as long as you get the tube into the proper hole. She will let you know if it's wrong if she coughs. Just back out and try again. Follow the same instructions I gave you when you were syringe feeding.

I have the tubing and a 20 ml syringe, biggest I could find. Also bought "intune hand feeding formula" for baby birds which is meant to be mixed with water. Thought it may help.
I am thinking of giving the evening dose now of antibiotic as mentioned above.
How often should she get Nutri Drench?
I found a vet who said they won't do any tests today because they're too busy but would euthanize if need be. They close at 4. How do I know if that's what she needs?

Back
Top Bottom