Surprise box from school project

That is the one I’m concerned about, but I’ve been having trouble finding a lot of pictures with BAs that make me lean more one direction than the other. The comb isn’t as pink in person as that picture (and there had just been a run in with our barred rock moments before when she stuck her head out of the crate to inspect the big girls). No other definite signs yet, but mayyyybe. I’m all over the place with that one...so I’m going with the hopeful approach 😆
When the comb that that big and red at a young age, he's likely a boy.
1619470946951.png

These are different breeds, but its the same idea. The females have a much more hidden pale comb. Males will have a larger, distinctly seated pink or red comb.
Eventually you'll start seeing pointed saddle and hackle feathers with age, and that comb will get huge. Comb is the best way to tell at this age, personality isn't a good indicator.

Lunamera/o graced me with some close ups today...
I don’t know a lot about black Australorps, but it seems they get their combs earlier. Other 5 week old Roos I’ve found in my research have BRIGHT red combs and red wattles. Or more so than whatever gender little Luna is. Sweet baby!!

I don’t know a lot about black Australorps, but it seems they get their combs earlier. Other 5 week old Roos I’ve found in my research have BRIGHT red combs and red wattles. Or more so than whatever gender little Luna is. Sweet baby!!
His comb looks WAY lighter in the second pics you posted. I'm on the fence now to, it could veer either way.
We'll have to see what we see in a few more weeks! :D:fl

His comb looks WAY lighter in the second pics you posted. I'm on the fence now to, it could veer either way.
We'll have to see what we see in a few more weeks! :D:fl
iiiii know! I’m so conflicted! (It did turn pink yesterday after being pecked on the beak.) I always get so impatient about this age!

iiiii know! I’m so conflicted! (It did turn pink yesterday after being pecked on the beak.) I always get so impatient about this age!
I know! I have a few chicks that are about a week old I want to post. I know they are way to young to accuralty guess, but there is a thread were people are trying to guess the sex of Silkies at young ages.
Anyway, I thought about it, but decided I didn't want to know! Hahahah!

Lunamera is a Black Copper Marans. You can tell by the reddish hints on his wings and shoulders, which is typical for a young BCM but not an Australorp. Egg and Diana are both Easter Eggers. Elecktra looks like a Rhode Island Red or some kind of production red.
ETA: Lunamera is a cockerel, rest are pullets.

Back
Top Bottom