Surprise chick! Can you help me?

From that list, SS or PR. Pink legs/feet would be SS, yellow would be partridge Rock. I think they look very pink in the second picture but in the first a bit yellow. Might just be the lighting. Take a look in natural light and you should be able to tell.

Oh, and yes, free often means surplus male.

Last edited:
5 weeks old! Now I can't tell if it's a roo or hen! As far as personality goes it's pretty calm with the flock, but super noisy if I take it out by it's self. It it's the same size as my barred rocks, just more fluffy around the thighs. Very, pretty chicken though I love it's white on the chest
smile.png
So what do you guys think?

Clearly Speckled Sussex now. Nothing screaming cockerel yet but these can be hard to sex before the rooster feathers start showing.

Clearly Speckled Sussex now. Nothing screaming cockerel yet but these can be hard to sex before the rooster feathers start showing.

yeah, they are stinkers when it comes to that, i got a SR of SS and took me forever to see i had 4 roos. I think it took me until 14 weeks i think. Their cob should get some color in it before then if its a male. If i remember well enough.

When do the rooster feather's start to show?

You can usually see them coming in by four months -- some will show them at three and a few closer to five. They are narrow, pointy, shiny feathers that emerge in the neck and back (just above the tail). Those are the surest sign of a cockerel since females never get them.

Well turns out my freebie chick wasn't a rooster after all!
thumbsup.gif

She was the first out of my flock to lay an egg yesterday.Damian and I was so excited, we still keep peekin' in the fridge to look at that very little brown egg.
wee.gif

She has turned out to be my favorite turned chicken out of the flock. We still call her special chick, I think it just got stuck. She has really out grown my barred rocks and has really fluffy behind feathers.
tongue.png
Pictures never really do the breed justice because you really can't seem to capture then sheen and colors that they really are. I will put some on here anyways though.
roll.png
She really has me sold on the breed and I think I'm going to try and find a Speckled Sussex Rooster. Wish me good luck though because most people give me a an "a you an alien or something" look whenever I mention the breed round' here! Maybe I will be the one to start a chicken fever around here, who knows?

Back
Top Bottom