Surviving Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Bogtown Chick, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Cluckies

Cluckies Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    Vacation day, I came out to let the chickens out to free range. Not outside 2 minutes, saw 3 Hawks... This is why I usually only let them free range late after noon early evening... [​IMG]

2. KlopKlop

KlopKlop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    We love our roosters! I would recommend it!

3. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Chicken Obsessed

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    [​IMG]Me, Me, Me.

In my coop I have room for 3-4 more hens. I like standard sized birds. I have one bantam, but if I sell surplus eggs I want standard sized hens/eggs. Some people feel jipped looking at the smaller eggs, I'm sure.
    #1 I'm looking for egg color dark browns and blues as a first desirable trait. I want a colorful egg carton.
    #2 Smallish combs to deal with our winters. Winter Hardy.
    #3 Good looking plumage. Nice to have eye candy in the yard. For some reason I'm a fan of the buffs & reds.
    #4 Prefer Heritage Breeds over Designer Breeds

Those Traits in that particular order of priority for me.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
  4. A friend of mine with chickens spotted a hawk watching hers right in the middle of Minneapolis. I am wondering how long my luck will hold out. They are free to range in my yard 24 7. I never shut the coop.

5. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Chicken Obsessed

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    I read a little blurb somewhere that the Eagle Population is sticking around up here with all the open water and lakes a little bit longer than usual. Lots and Lots of Eagles up this way. I'm sure it's the same for the Hawks. As long as there is food and water they will stick around.

ugh.

6. Coffee 1st

Coffee 1st Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2015
    have 2 sitting in my tree right now.. They look hungry .. Be careful

7. Coffee 1st

Coffee 1st Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2015
    . Maybe it's the nice weather even the Hawks are off balance I thought most of them were supposed to migrate...

8. ejb3810

ejb3810 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2010
    Northern Minnesota
    Some hawks migrate to this area and stay the winter as long as there is food source available.
    I have a mixed flock for egg production. It consists of Wheaten Marans, Chanteclers, Buckeyes, EE. I also have a Partridge Chantecler flock that is for fun breeding projects. In addition to the Partridge rooster, I also have a White and a Buff both Chanteclers.
    I also have 3 bantams which are remnants of previous breeding projects. Hens are Golden Campine and Citron Hamburg, and the rooster is a Gold Sebright.

I am tempted to add birds in the spring for various reasons. I don't have any layers of large white eggs and only one which lays an olive large egg. I want some hens that lay large white eggs and some that lay large blue eggs. Anyone have suggestions?
    I like bantams just for the entertainment and ornamental aspects, as most do not lay a very large egg. Since eye candy is a consideration for me, I believe I will get trios or quads of Wheaten, Blue Wheaten and White Ameraucanas just for the fun in working with them.

2 people like this.
  9. Cluckies

Cluckies Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop

10. MinnesotaNice

MinnesotaNice Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2015
    Minnesota
    Is there a rule of thumb for how many hens in a coop? I guess I always think....."would I want to live in here if I were a chicken?" and that's how many I'll have [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by