Surviving Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Bogtown Chick, Nov 18, 2015.

1. ejb3810

ejb3810 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2010
    Northern Minnesota
    Rule of thumb for large fowl is 4 sq ft per bird, but of course cu ft is also a consideration.

1 person likes this.
  2. Cluckies

Cluckies Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    This is a good rule of thumb, but if they are locked up in there all day, and can't be in the run it should be bigger. (Say they don't have an enclosed run for terrible weather) but if they have access to a run, even in winter to block the wind rain and snow, then that is a good rule of thumb, as they only sleep and lay eggs in there. At least that is what I think.

3. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    I like your thinking EJB with Cubic considerations. LOL.

I should just get more EE's for my color. But I had bad luck with mine. 4 of the 5 I had quit laying after their 1st year. I read it may be an issue with the crosses, but I have a 4 year old hatchery mutt SLW with a funny comb for a wyandotte-- who gave me another egg today at nearly 4 years old. I know there is more in the cookie batter than wyandotte--So I'm suspect of that theory. Plus others on the Minnesota threads have told me of their wonderful longevity with their EE's. I don't know what to think. hmmm. Maybe it's breeder stock vs. hatchery stock of EE too that helps perhaps. Nonetheless I may snap up an Ameracauna or two.

Cluckies...I'm thinking Welsummers too.

4. Bogtown Chick

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    4 sq feet per standard sized bird. During a long cold 6 months of winter you'll wish you had a bigger coop. For chickens and their addict caretakers: Go BIG or Go Home. You won't regret the extra space.

[​IMG]

5. Bogtown Chick

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    [​IMG]Hiya @memphis

He's not here. I think he ran off with Taylor Swift somewhere down where you live. Carrie didn't work out apparently.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
  6. Cluckies

Cluckies Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    I think you are probably correct hatchery verses breeder. I think i'm going to find breeders next time, I think Minnichickmama has EE's and Welsummer, not sure though. Although their eggs are huge, one of my EE past away, but the other one this was her second year laying, she laid almost an egg a day all summer. Both years she quit in October though, she didn't start laying until late spring this year. so, no winter eggs from her.

7. Bogtown Chick

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    She has birds that I want. But living nearly 200 miles away doesn't always help. Ed are you going to be breeding and selling some birds?....with pretty colored eggs? [​IMG] Duluth is closer for me than Rochester.

8. MinnesotaNice

MinnesotaNice Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2015
    Minnesota
    Welsummers are cool birds. If I end up losing any of my girls, that breed is on my list. Barred Rock, too.

Next Spring, I'm going to talk sweet to DH and hopefully get him to expand the attached run a bit. It's adequately spaced, but after seeing all of the girls cooped up on certain crappy weather days, I think they would be happier with an expansion on the condo [​IMG] I can put in that bar side chicken pool I saw on their xmas list. Kidding, kidding.

9. Marans come in many color varieties and will lay you a nice chocolate colored egg.

1 person likes this.
  10. Bogtown Chick

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Totally would take a cuckoo marans!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by