Surviving Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Bogtown Chick, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Cluckies

Cluckies Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    Was a great time with the family. Got home in time for the chickens to free range for about 45 minutes or so only, but well, what can you do. So my dad is going in Monday to get a CRT-D device implanted to help treat his heart failure. If you could pray for him on that day, it would be appreciated. He is fairly anxious about it. I tried to explain as much as I could to him, but he is correct, surgery is always a risk, and of course, with heart failure, he is not in great shape. The good thing is if everything goes correctly, about 75 percent of patients feel better after the device is implanted. so we are really hoping. He used to be really active, but has slowed down quite a bit from the heart failure. I guess he has had one or more silent hear attacks over the years. who knew? [​IMG]

Chickens are doing great! My molting FI is just about back to her fiesty self. She had a full crop the last couple of nights on the roost. yey! [​IMG]

2. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Ejb I totally understand the selling vs hobby bit with chickens. I was not sure about your chickening operation as I knew Ralphie got some Roos from you. Any ways makes sense.

Today we had Christmas at my inlaws. They head for Texas on Monday so we always celebrate around this time. Hors d'oerves and oyster stew are our holiday traditions. And they have no wi-Fi so no chicken chat for me and teenagers that were bonkers. Haha. They actually did pretty good.

Way back when I was in nursing school before DH I met a fairly good looking man who I only got two dates with. We were headed in different directions in life and it fizzled out. Well today I got a message from a lady in our small town that a man selling her a gun at a store saw her address while registering it and asked if she knew a redhead with my maiden name. She said yes and that he started blushing. Lol. She told him I was married and he said he was too. But she said he's still good looking and that she hoped there were men somewhere that still blushed over her. Haha. Well I promptly went and told DH all this and that he should appreciate me more. Hahaha. Gol. Day made!

Last edited: Dec 12, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  3. Cluckies

Cluckies Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    That is fantastic! lol [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. erlibrd

erlibrd Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Oct 8, 2010
    mn
    Sorry your dad isn't feeling well, I'll say a prayer for him.

5. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

X2

Still alive in Memphis , going to bass pro pyramid, Someone tell Memphis on turkey thread please

6. erlibrd

erlibrd Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Oct 8, 2010
    mn
    You're alive :)
    I wish we had bass pro stores here!

7. Me too!!

8. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    CRAP!!

I spent 10 minutes typing to have it vanish in a key stroke error!!

I will be typing this in parts and submitting it and editting this, to avoid it happening again, Check back for the editted updates, and forgive spelling errors, my spell check on this phone stinks.

We spent the last 3 days in Montgomery. Interesting little city, between sightseeing and the Commissioning ceremony stuff we have been busy. I read the thread at night but do not get time to respond.

My son is now a 2nd Lt. He says the worlds oldest. He needed an age waiver to attend OTS. His college roommate and post college roommate and him have remained close for years. They were Best man at each others weddings. The BFF is a SR-22 pilot. (raptor) Think most awesome fighter plane in the world. As such he is a Captain in the Air Force ane was able to do the swearing in and oath of office for my son. It was amazing.

I have to say I think there is hope for the country yet when I see these young people. I was amazed and pleasantly pleased when they had the entire crowd stand and they gave a prayer and blessing to and for the new officers!

I have renewed my dislike of many southern foods. I really miss Minnesota. It is where I belong I am afraid. While I like the winters in South Florida and Tx, the rest of the south does not impress me...

Speed limits and no passing zones are purely advisory down here and have no legal bearing on a driver as best as I can tell.

I am so over Taylor and Carrie! I have found a woman with a much bigger jet and bank account. The age difference is way more in my favor. She is 92. She has a net worth of 35 billion. My new loves first name is something like Lilliane... She is heir to the Laureli perfume fortune.... The bad part is she lives in France. I am sure she will move for me. She has kids so I will have to split half the money with them when she passes, I suppose. Unless France is a community property country/state.

On the birds:

I will increase my layers slightly, I want around 30-35 going into winter.

I am going to try to get more pure lines.

I hope to get NPIP certified.

I will have Partridge Chanticler thanks to EJB. My rooster ED I got from him is such a super rooster I want more birds like him.

I want to raise some Creamettes, and maybe show one, time will tell if I do that, I would rather give a trio to a 4h kid to show for me. Just to see if the line I have is worthy of being kept alive. I think it is. but what do I know.

I will raise some pure BA's because they are great mothers and good layers. While not lap chickens they are friendly.

I will raise some Speckled Sussex because they are such great eye candy and freindly lap compliant birds.

I will raise a few EE for the egg basket. I have a heavier EE rooster and I hope he throws good egg color, time will tell.

I would like to get some Dominques. I like barred chickens and while I like my barred rocks I am not going to keep them going.

Time to run bbl to finish

Last edited: Dec 13, 2015
  9. KlopKlop

KlopKlop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    have had a busy weekend with my family celebrating Christmas. My nephews loved their wooden tools we spent most of the evening with rousing choruses of 'Do pound on that with the hammer!"

more festivities today then hopefully tonight will be more mellow. I've got some fun stories to reprise for you guys!

10. Coffee 1st

Coffee 1st Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2015
    Wow,,, I don't even know what to say,, I really cant believe some people.. I'm outside with my dogs yesterday because of the hawk situation. And the guy in the house behind me walks over to my fence and says ' did you know a hawk got one of your chickens?.. yea i know.. THEN the guy says he was out side and seen the hawk fly down and grab it and it was so cool he got out his camera on his phone and started taking pictures of it. It was so cool it was only about 5 feet away from me. and then it dropped the chicken and the chicken tried running and the hawk jumped on it and started pulling the feathers and finally the chicken gave up and then it just sat right there and was eating it, then after a little while the hawk took off with the rest of the body I HAVE THE PICS IF YOU WANT TO SEE THEM......... OMFG I CANT believe people.... why would you not try and chase the hawk away after it dropped the chicken????? instead of taking pictures.... I understand the kids interest but REALLY the parent.... i could have hit him.... this is the same family that called the inspector on my coop, the same family that would watch me everyday out there by myself trying to build the coop and never offered to even hold a board, the same family that was the 1st to ask if i have any eggs left over if they can have them... the same family that spread it around the neighbor hood that I'm the house that needs to be watched because they think i might have a drug house because i have people over here all the time. WOW that was fun to learn about..i have people over because i have always had allot of friends and they like to check up on me.. this is the same guy who actually had the nerve to ask me if i have one of those OPEN RELATIONSHIPS??? just straight out and asked me one day... I told him if i did it would be none of his business BUT NO I'm not the 2 guys he was referring to were my 2 brothers that were here almost everyday helping my cut down trees and do other things. how dare anyone be so rude...

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by