Surviving Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Bogtown Chick, Nov 18, 2015.

1. willzpapa

willzpapa Papa Santee

Sep 26, 2015
    Hillbilly Heaven NC
    sorry jump the broom = gettin hitched or married

2. jerryse

jerryse Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Sparland IL
    I have a question for you northern MN. residents . I have lake property in Longville . What pear trees grow in your area ? Looking to plant for wildlife .

3. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Hi Jerry: Welcome to the thread. I checked the University of Minnesota Website and it appears 'SummerCrisp Pear' is hardy here in northern MN. They ran a few test trials from my reading and one the spots was Grand Rapids. NE of Longville. So that's a good sign for SummerCrisp at your cabin.

4. jerryse

Feb 21, 2010
    Sparland IL
    Thanks

5. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    May I ask @jerryse about the pears? Why not just apples for wildlife? Or are you planning on human consumption too? ;) I think they'll need a good cross pollinator too it said.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
  6. jerryse

Feb 21, 2010
    Sparland IL
    Apples too . Here we have some late pears that work well for our deer seasons . A extended fruit drop of apples and pears should work well . Thinking of Chestnut crab apple self pollinating and zone 3 . I found 1 pear that fit the self pollinating but only sold in Canada .

7. ejb3810

ejb3810 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2010
    Northern Minnesota
    Jerry as BC has related Summer Crisp would be a good choice pear for what you are wanting. I would suggest Golden Spice as a variety to cross pollinate, and although fruit quality is not as good as Summer Crisp it should be appreciated by the wildlife.
    There are many apple varieties that would work there, and Chestnut may be a good choice if you want a self pollinator.

8. I don't grow apples. But a local favorite and a favorite of mine is Honeycrisp. Great to bake with and eat off the tree. I am pretty sure the wildlife would love anything. A friend was telling me he had a crab apple tree and he would find very few if any apples on the ground. If they like crabapple you would think they would eat anything.

1 person likes this.
  9. ejb3810

ejb3810 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2010
    Northern Minnesota
    Jerry, how much time do you spend at the lake place? It is quite a distance from Illinois. When you travel north this spring or summer I would be happy to meet you to pick up some Lavendar chicks or started pullets, but you probably don't have any extra room when you come up?

10. jerryse

Feb 21, 2010
    Sparland IL
    I will make 3 trips for sure . I spent about 6 weeks up there this year . I go up to Superior Wi . and cross over . I have a flatbed trailer I often take . Making preperations to build a cabin in 2017 . My brother and I divided our parents property . I took 8 acres and let him have the cabin and 4 acres . They bought it in 1964 . I am retired so I have the time . I will see what I can hatch .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by