Surviving Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Bogtown Chick, Nov 18, 2015.

1. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    I am home, We beat the snow....

Pears?? You guys up north have pears? Cluckies has pears?

Why do I not have any pears? HELP ME, I want pears!

1 person likes this.
  2. jerryse

jerryse Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2010
    Sparland IL
    Well I did plant a few . They have not done well so far . Still learning . Two were near some wild ones but not doing well . The other site I think may have been too moist but there were wild ones close there also . I have noticed a wild colony in a rotten log site so maybe more acid in those rotten logs . I do use the acid loving fertilizer . The wild ones are small and not many berries .

3. KlopKlop

KlopKlop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota

Welcome home! How are your birds?!?!

4. erlibrd

erlibrd Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Oct 8, 2010
    mn
    x2

5. ejb3810

ejb3810 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2010
    Northern Minnesota
    Jerry I have blueberries which are very hardy and productive, but my soil is naturally quite acidic. I have to be quite vigilant to protect them when they show the slightest degree of starting to ripen, as my chickens and guineas will strip a bush in no time.
    I plan to plant some additional trees this spring also. Apples, pears and cherries.

Ralphie, welcome back to the hinterlands. You should have little problem growing pears where you are at, as you are definitely in the banana belt.

1 person likes this.
  6. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

Everyone is happy!

They are roaming even with the snow.

The young Toms are engaging in snood pulling and chest bumping..

Even Ethel had to let one of them know they were behind her on the pecking order. She does not take much poop from her babies.

I really think some of you need a pet turkey! I have some nice young toms, that are just too small to process right now. They are blues and self blues, and of course if you want a Belly button I could tell Judy Penguin ran away from home, if you come while she is at work.

BTW Penguin if he did not start the snood pulling was doing his part to keep it going.

7. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

We have not had many or and good berries near Togo either. The DNR has decided, in appeasing the greenies by not burning the logged over areas or even rock or brush raking. When they would burn off the litter we had better tree growth and blue berries like crazy.

Now we may have plants but they look weak and have few and small berries. I have even thought about planting some blueberries at our cabin and dumping my wood ash on them....But there is something "wrong" about planting blueberries in the middle of blueberry country.

It is so good to be home! All my wild bird feeders were empty, but that is my fault I forgot to ask the guy taking care of my other birds about them...Oooops

8. KlopKlop

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    Load up a few and come down to visit the wicked witch! I will give you a farm tour! You can pick up your free souvenir kitten!

9. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    When I told the DW we could get a free souvenir kitten, the results were an eye roll and " that will be a cold day in Hades. I am trying to get rid of all animals."

Boy, is she in for a long life if she thinks the animals are leaving!

10. KlopKlop

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    When she meets the kittens she won't be able to say no!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by