Surviving Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Bogtown Chick, Nov 18, 2015.

1. KlopKlop

KlopKlop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    Plus your net population change would be negative!

2. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    She is the wicked witch's daughter and heir to the tittle wicked witch of the north. So you could be wrong..

3. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

Did you have an Ice sales route in Barrow Alaska?

4. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    I just went by Elk Lake, the lake is completely Ice free! Amazing for this time of year.

5. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Good Mornin' Fellas.

I have to say that Pears have been off my radar. DH planted apple trees two years ago after our precious honeycrisp died. He put in Zestar, HeraldRed, and Honey Crisp. So I'm excited for those. I have them all fenced, Trunk wrapped and protected so they have half a chance in Hades against the deer and girdling by rabbits. The Old Honey Crisp had a bear come in when it was just getting going and yank a good sized piece of the graft down. ugh. Took about 4 years and it was dead. Bears in yards=complete nuisance. Anyways I've always wanted to do some Keepsake Apples also, after our order -- so now I'm adding to the list. I have a wild Blueberry spot to go pick...but again I need to beat the bears to them. Always the trick. Wild Raspberries are small up here but do they ever pack a punch of flavor. Same with all the wild berries.

Ralphie: So glad you are home and taking care of your Belly Buttons. How are the coconut trees thriving in the Banana Belt down there in Orrock?

There's a few boys running up to Red Lake and catching some limits of Walleyes and running back home with them. Sounds like my Boys are heading up Saturday for a Walleye Run. Fresh Fish is good for my diet.

6. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    I want fresh w FISH!!

I asked the Daughter of the Wicked Witch if she thought people would think I am nuts if I put my boat in the lake and went fishing...

Bear are a pain. Luckily they have stayed away from the cabin. I think they are outlawed by the Togo City Council and covered under the Anti-bear missile defense shield.

I think the coconut palms are doing great. There was just a little snow on them this morning..

The turkeys are so happy, they are eating crab apples now.

I got 5 eggs this morning! But I have lights on them so I should be getting more soon. No Diamond encrusted ones though? Worthless over priced over rated birds!

7. ejb3810

ejb3810 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2010
    Northern Minnesota
    As relates to the Cream Legbars, I have never owned any, and likely will not as Ameraucanas will do a better job for me at a reasonable cost of acquisition.
    BC I wish you luck with all the apples, but I would not plant Honey Crisp again. By the time they get to production stage we will likely have a hard winter and there you go. Good Siberian Crab from the rootstock though and though the apples are not good for eating the deer love them.
    The complication with fruit trees is rabbit girdling, antler polishing, bear breakage and sunscald. Much work and due diligence is called for.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
  8. Bogtown Chick

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    LOL. But they sure are "cute" -- well that is when they let you see them. [​IMG]

I bet your birds are loving that you are home to spoil them and stretching their legs.

Yesterday we went to Staples for a BB game. It's a hike down there. Sort of interesting driving home. Rain was freezing on the windshield and by the time we got to our house...big fluffy flakes falling on top of the rained on road. Roads were nooot tooo bad but we did put it in All Wheel and kept it at 40-50 mph. That's our safe zone for driving.

We also picked up some Ugly Sweaters in Brainerd. We do a Christmas party Christmas Eve with our friends. And we've put out to the invited they must find Ugly sweaters to wear. DH and I laughed so hard at the sweaters we found. Gosh we haven't had that much fun in a long time.

The kids at 13-going on-14 are not as enthused about dressing in Ugly sweaters. I think they are going to wait and see what the others their age wear. Party Poopers.

9. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

I agree with the Ameraucanas doing the blue egg job cheaper... BUT a chicken deserves to have a tail!!! [​IMG]

10. Bogtown Chick

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    On the CLBs-- When I had already committed to buying them from Heidi, I did not realize they were a smallish bird with a smallish egg. I'm all over the Ameraucanas right now and am super excited that Jerry stumbled onto our thread. And his soon-to-be cabin location is well......very convenient for me! [​IMG]

We planted the honey crisp in a Rock Retaining Wall. And it did fairly well until the bear stripped it. We had it surrounded with Russian Sage so the Deer pretty much walked right on by. At the time I didnt wrap the trunk up and I did note the sunscald a little later in it's short life. That whole retaining wall is a mess though. Going to pull everything out and I'm going to do a vegetable garden there...as my other Veggie garden is far from the house and this spot is close. And I'm getting old. And busy with Teenagers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by