Surviving Minnesota!

"....It's Beginning to Look alot Like Christmas!" Songs on the car radio, white snow, Sweater and Turtleneck. I'm loving it!

I'm a lucky person. This is the view from my parking spot at work. Had to Run out and share some Winter beauty...albeit a dusty phone camera lens! Ha.
There's a young eagle out fishing the edge of the ice. Or waiting for a muskrat or something to surface. One of the two...I suppose.

I only have the pollinator so far Ralphie, but my old boss grew awesome pears. Here is some info from the U of M extension, many pear varieties for zone 4. It is weird my autumn blaze pear is not on there... hmmmm well we were told it could be a pollinator, but who knows... you can't eat the fruit it says in other online sources, so maybe it can pollinate though, we'll see, i'm going to pick up a Ure and try it out hopefully this year, i've been hoping to for a couple of years now...

Last edited:
I got my start of Legbar from Heidi also . I also saw room for improvement . I crossed to light brown Leghorn . I will use a cockerel from that cross back to the Legbar hens . Should improve laying and egg size . I also have a auto sexing EE project with some Legbar in the mix .

Another tip for the adventurous pear grower . EBay has listings for seed of the Harbin pear - Pyrus Ussurinus species . Same species that Ure , Golden Spice and Summercrisp are from . I plan to get some seed for root stock and or pollinator .

Okay. Nice Lake. A good friend of mine lives just across the highway on Maple. I'm always over that way for coffee on Sundays.
smile.png

What varieties/colors of Ameraucanas are you thinking about for spring? Do you have some Wheatens also by chance? Love the idea of lavenders in my flock, though...gotta say.

Another tip for the adventurous pear grower . EBay has listings for seed of the Harbin pear - Pyrus Ussurinus species . Same species that Ure , Golden Spice and Summercrisp are from . I plan to get some seed for root stock and or pollinator .

Last Winter we had two months of snow up here. And this late starting winter here this year...may help in the adventure. If it becomes a weather trend for us over the next several years.

I love pears. I guess I just didn't think we could grow them around in these parts. ...Huh!

Last edited:
Okay. Nice Lake. A good friend of mine lives just across the highway on Maple. I'm always over that way for coffee on Sundays.
smile.png

What varieties/colors of Ameraucanas are you thinking about for spring? Do you have some Wheatens also by chance? Love the idea of lavenders in my flock, though...gotta say.

I have about ten black hens that may be split for lavender . I will use Black/lavender , Lavender cuckoo and white over these hens at different times . Not much in Wheaten . 1 cock and 2 hens mixed to buff .

Back
Top Bottom