Surviving Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Bogtown Chick, Nov 18, 2015.

1. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

Dang! I am so jealous. I have been working on this for years. She says I can buy one, just does not authorize the amount of money to get one.

I actually want 2. One for here and one for the cabin.

I thought I saw a dump truck in the background in one of your pictures???

2. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

Holms I am very sorry for your loss. I know it will be hard on you and your family. My Prayers are with you.

You could attend a Camp Day event and meet several at once.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
  3. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    I have a couple questions about something I am tempted to try.

Instead of keeping a rooster in a breeding pen full time, Is it possible to put the rooster in the pen once every week or two and still have viable eggs? I know a mating lasts about 3 weeks, my concern is will it stress the hens too much? Would the rooster do his job on demand like that?

Most of my roosters are like a teenager and always wanting to do it.

Can I do this with turkeys too?

The biggest draw back would be the free ranging layer flock of hens would have to put up with too many roosters, unless I make a rooster pen.

4. KlopKlop

KlopKlop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota

The truck I am going to look at is a 1 ton '82 Chevy with a 9' plow and a 10' flat dump bed.

I currently have an old GMC S15 ( same as a Chevy S10) that has a flatbed on it made of landscape timbers. No dump and no hauling capacity.

What I did was write up a real official looking 'purchase proposal' with pros and cons and such listed and spun it as a farm business purchase. I will be selling my s15 to fund this should I make the purchase. She says it is ugly and refuses to drive it but appreciates the value that it will bring to the farm

Our driveway is a total mud pit right now so I was telling her how I would be able to haul our own gravel and all that. She was sold :)

5. Coffee 1st

Coffee 1st Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2015
    Holm very sorry about your grandpa,, I'm glad he was surrounded by family when he left. And I'm sure he was very proud of you you seem to be a fine young man and on the right path.. You also take great photos I hope in someway you are going to apply that to your future. You would make a great photographer. And I'm super jealous you get to meet Minni...

6. KlopKlop

KlopKlop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    She is super nice. I bought some birds from her this fall.

7. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    [​IMG]

You can tell Christmas is here, we pulled out the formal seasonal wine glasses..

1 person likes this.
  8. erlibrd

erlibrd Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Oct 8, 2010
    mn
    Sorry you lost your great grandpa :-(

It would be cool to all meet! Ralphie will need to start planning for our get together :p

9. ejb3810

ejb3810 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2010
    Northern Minnesota
    Holm, sorry to read of your loss!

Klop and Ralphie, my wife has a dump truck. It is a Chevrolet of course and has a nice stainless steel dump box. I don't get to drive it, as her business policy has her as an only driver restriction.
    If I want something hauled she will usually accommodate.

Do any on this thread have a designated rooster coop which they use in the winter? If so how has it worked for you?

10. Cluckies

Cluckies Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    So very sorry to hear about Great Grandpa, it is always hard. I"m glad there was no suffering as well. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by