Surviving Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Bogtown Chick, Nov 18, 2015.

1. KlopKlop

KlopKlop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    Your wife sounds awesome haha

Does she do contract driving /truck for hire?

2. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

I have a rooster "pen" or coop I am using right now. I feel guilty not letting them run around, but I am not ready to send them to camp yet as they are my back-ups.

I have a 8x8 covered run and a two story 8x8 "coop" for them. The second story is about 4x8. I have 6 rooster and the guinea hen from death row in it. I figure I have 160 sq feet for them. The second floor gives them a roost a decent distance off the ground. and a place to get away from other birds.

It is working fine, other than my guilt.

I made a lot of pens and small coops last fall, I am thinking I need a lot more next year.

The rooster in the pen do not seem to fight. Occasionally Ed or Bert Jr will walk over to the fence and they will puff up and fight through the hardware cloth.

I am thinking of making another change, as I just found out turkey sperm can live for 72 days inside the hen. I may have to fire sale something.... Or build new pens again in the cold.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
  3. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

What's this Hire stuff? I am an old retired guy on a fixed pension!!!

4. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    I have been planning on my first batch of 20 Creamette eggs going into the incubator next weekend (Christmas day).

I am starting to think I will not be making my goal.

I went out to harvest hatching eggs today and I am currently 20 eggs short of my goal.

I have had a light on them since Thanksgiving. and still no eggs? Any ideas? Should I talk softly and carry a big stick? Should I make an example of one and show them they too can become stew?

5. ejb3810

ejb3810 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2010
    Northern Minnesota
    Klop, my wife has a landscape construction business and specializes in stone and paver work. She does walls, patios, walkways and etc.
    Years ago she was much more into the plant side of the business but now subs most of that out.
    She will infrequently haul gravel, topsoil, mulch & other materials for customers or friends, but she attempts to avoid it if at all possible.
    People frequently ask why I don't work for her, and I have to tell them for two reasons. 2. I am retired. 1. The property settlement issues would be too complicated.
    I do manage a very small plant nursery project which is just for her business and my own entertainment.

Ralphie, thanks for the run down on your rooster coop. I have always kept my flocks and the roosters separated, but I am considering keeping all the hens in one coop and all roosters in a separate coop for the winter months.

6. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

I have been giving the same thing some thought to save the backs of the roosters favorite hens. I would just put the roosters in for a day or two at a time every couple weeks,

The down side is I would lose the roosters as predator control/protectors. If you decide to remove all roosters keep us informed how that works.

7. erlibrd

erlibrd Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Oct 8, 2010
    mn
    Anyone north part of the cities, how are the roads. Thinkinng of going soon!

8. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

I just drove from Princeton to Zimmerman they were great.. I try to never go further south if possible........I get scared in the cities itself.

9. erlibrd

erlibrd Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Oct 8, 2010
    mn
    169? I will take that to 10 towards Anoka.
    Thanks

10. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

Yep. 169, I normally go the backroads but I went through Zimmerman to check gas prices, I needed gas. It was $1.79 with my Super America card in Zimmerman 5 cents higher in Princeton.

(That really makes me seem old to be checking gas prices)

Last edited: Dec 17, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by