Surviving Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Bogtown Chick, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Jerry: You'll have to keep me posted about your Pear trees you start 'up north'. You know way more about it than I do that's for sure. Have you successfully grafted before? I think I saw it on a gardening tv program once. When I have an empty nest and no kids to chase I forsee myself getting into this. Have you a plan for keeping the bears out of the orchard?

Ralphie...love your tag line this morning. Glad to see my name not blaring in it anymore. LOL. I would definitely define Creamettes as Cream Legbars to those with more discriminating term use or those not in the know about the more fun name we've given them. I bet you'll sell them.

2. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    If someone needs to have "creamettes" defined they do not deserve them! I have thought about slipping in to one of the CLB threads with the footer, Just to stir the poop..... Prudes and snobs do not excite me much. I am too old to worry about their sensibilities...

3. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    LOL. Well you know I love a great sense of humility. It goes way farther with me. Besides a potential buyer asking what a Creamette is other than a noodle is a great ice breaker. And what a delightful surprise it will be to them to find that they are actually beautiful Cream Legbars and not Macaroni, indeed. [​IMG]

But actually Macaroni sounds really good too.

I'm loving the beautiful white snow fall up here and the Christmas music playing in my car. Hot drink and Cozy sweater time of the year. I've got the Christmas spirit.

Talking about Pear trees, I do not usually see them for sale in the home improvement/garden section of those common stores either. Perhaps that's why they were off my radar.

4. KlopKlop

KlopKlop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    I am so jealous of your snow :( it is now frozen mud down here boo hoo hoo :(

Our local nursery sells pear trees. I wanted to plant pears this year but all the types they had were not self polinating and my wife said 3 trees were enough, we didnt need 2 more. So probably this year :)

5. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    I was always under the impression pears would not grow north of central Iowa. I am kind of surprised by Jerry mentioning then growing here and Cluckies having that tree we are both going to be harvesting pears from.

Back in the 60's when I was in High School I was forced to take 4 years of Agriculture by my Dad because Typing was for girls. ( Believe me, Typing would have made my work careers much easier!)

I know fruit trees were part of the class every year, pears where never mentioned. That could be due to the fact they may not be a "commercial" venture in Mn that would pay, I have no idea. It just seems something would have been mentioned about them, Especially with all the orchards in Mn for apples.

BTW I have the macaroni type Creamettes I can sell too. I was trying out the "amazon thingy"........ And I thought I bought 8 boxes of Macaroni and cheese..... I got 8 cases. Which is a lifetime supply for us.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  6. jerryse

jerryse Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Sparland IL
  7. jerryse

jerryse Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Sparland IL
    I have no bear plan yet for fruit trees . Not sure if there are any real close . I am sure apples will do ok . So anything that likes fruit will eventually find them .

8. ejb3810

ejb3810 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2010
    Northern Minnesota
    Ralphie, I don't know if Baileys sells retail down there, but I think so. I would anticipate they might be a source of pear trees? I have a friend that has several apple trees with a variety of grafts which of course produce various apple varieties. My friend has a friend who is a retired teacher who does the grafting.
    There are many factors which enter into the cold hardiness issue, with one of substantial influence being exposure to wind during the winter. Another issue is surviving vs thriving.
    I have attempted to successfully grow sour cherries with North Star and Bali varieties, and none have lived long term.
    We will have a White Christmas after all, and although the snow looks nice and is good protection for the plants these temperatures are not that good. Shouldn't complain I guess, as it could just as well be minus 10 as 10 above?

9. erlibrd

erlibrd Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Oct 8, 2010
    mn
    The roads were just fine!
    On 169 going along the large lake there were some flurries and traffic was a little slower than usual but on the way home it all was clear. Around home there are still some snowy side roads but not bad at all.

10. erlibrd

erlibrd Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Oct 8, 2010
    mn
    Holm those are beautiful pictures.
    I have an all black EE named Raven :) I love cows [​IMG]
    I think you could make a career at photograpy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by