Surviving Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Bogtown Chick, Nov 18, 2015.

1. KlopKlop

KlopKlop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    I had a masonry contractor over this morning to discuss foundations and fitting my existing foundation for a modular home.... i am starting to think we might be better stick building.

2. jerryse

jerryse Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Sparland IL
    New question . Blackberries anyone have really nice wild ones ? I have seen a couple of small roadside patches . I want to start a patch . Root cuttings start easily .

3. ejb3810

ejb3810 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2010
    Northern Minnesota
    Holm, the cow that goes roan in the fall/winter must have some Shorthorn in it's background?
    Klop, with your woodworking skills you can build your own house in your spare time.

4. KlopKlop

KlopKlop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    The advantage of a stick built house is that I could hire out the majority of the work and do the rest on my own, such as plumbing, flooring, the kitchen, etc

5. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    We looked at modular before we did stick build. There wasn't much difference in price at the time for what you were getting. Honestly. EJB makes a valid point with your knack for tools and such...you could be the main contractor and just sub out the stuff you don't or can't do alone.

Jerry. I have a nice but small patch of wild blackberries on the property and then driving down my road. But probably not enough to give away just yet. Actually canes of Blackberries are quite prolific up here and if you drive out on HWY 5 towards Hackensack there are some minimum maintenance roads (2100 and Stonebridge) with canes everywhere.

If you plan to be up quite a bit now and you have a dog in the yard the bears shouldn't bother too much. They seem to know when you're home and when you're not. If we take our RV & dog out for say like 5 days or so....that's when we usually get those powerful visitors. Bears follow their nose. Anywhere there's easy food.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
  6. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

Where is Baileys? I have no idea how to graft, I know the principles, but not the practical ability. I am actually trying to figure out where to plant some pears around here that would get good sun and not be in the winter wind.

The temps have been great, We have gotten through a month of winter without really having any. It could be 30 below instead of 18 above, so you are right on that!

7. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

I have some wild ones here. They grow on an old fence line, the birds seem to get them before me. Maybe I should dig some and move them up here. The berries are nice, but few, I think they could be sod and root bound too, They have been there since I was a kid.

8. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    X2 and have a better home!

9. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    You would hire out the framing? With your skills do it all!

10. jerryse

jerryse Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Sparland IL
    There are some short canes there where you turn towards Kego plus I spotted some tall canes before that . I plan to get root cuttings from those 2 patches . No idea on fruit but I have seen fruit on the short ones . I will keep those you mentioned in mind . Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by