Surviving Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Bogtown Chick, Nov 18, 2015.

1. erlibrd

erlibrd Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Oct 8, 2010
    mn
    Makes me feel old asking about the roads! After the Halloween snow storm 1991 I think, I drove to the mpls airport then tried to drive to Duluth and had to turn around near Forest lake because I couldn't see crap. Was living NE mpls at the time. Now I'm hating to drive on messy roads! what an old granny I turned into. OK I'm going just talked myself into it :p

2. Cluckies

Cluckies Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    Just drove from the cities to nowthen, on 10, roads are clear

3. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    Thanks. I wish I could make a career of livestock and photography.

4. holm25

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    Some more pics of my brothers EE hen Raven, my Welsummer roo which I sadly culled Wilson and one of my grandpas cows we call "The Roan" a beautiful cow that turns roan colored in the fall. I might have to use this pic for the fair!! Or frame it....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
    4 people like this.
  5. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Chicken Obsessed

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    @holm25 thank you for your information about your camera. Do you Saturate photos a bit too in the edits? They are beautiful. I love the bottom Roan Cow picture. She is beautiful.
    So sorry about Great Grandpa. We had a family friend pass away yesterday too. A Good Man, a Great Dad to his kids. Tough as nails to the end.

Cluckies loving your Christmas tree.

I am a Grandma about slippery roads too. And I will tell you that I fear other people's driving as well. So a trip to Minneapolis on ice roads would just give me a stroke. I've actually side swiped a suburban due to slippery roads. I do not need to have the complete head on to have the fear put in me again. I've cancelled Dr. and Vet appointments due to road conditions. It can all wait.

I would love to do a hatch a-long, however my only incubator is a 1 1/2 lb silkie who I will have to rely on the timing of her hormones. And also if my stars line up correctly jerryse would have a trip planned north with Ameraucana hatching eggs delivered to coincide with that broodiness. I have lots of 'ifs' to get all the stars lined up in order to participate.

Ralphie you are making some good plans for your birds. I love love my Australorp and if I were smart I would get more of them. But I want more color in my egg cartons. That's the top thing I want right now. So much to think about isn't there?

6. holm25

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    I do edit a little. BUT only the grass because we have no nice looking grass around here.

7. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

I have moved back to color in my egg cartons too, which is why I kept the EE rooster, I was going to breed the EE's to the Creamer, BUT creamer have been kind of a downer for me in everything but eye candy.

Edited to add: Please disregard the above if you are at all considering buying some of my creamettes.....

Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
    2 people like this.
  8. The roads up here sure were terrible today. We couldn't go over 40 MPH without slipping and sliding all over.

9. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    Being a basically unskilled lazy tree planter, where can I find a place to buy pear trees? I do not think I have ever seen one in my normal shopping places, Menards, Fleetfarm, Runnings, Walmart.....etc.

I did find an interesting PDF from the UoM on fruit trees, http://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/yard-garden/fruit/pears-in-home-garden/index.html

I found it interesting they did not mention the Stacey Pear. Some of those pears were developed in the 30's and 40's, and still I know of none around here, except the one Cluckies mentioned that I will have to raid, in her front yard.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by