Surviving Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Bogtown Chick, Nov 18, 2015.

1. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    Jerry, I must have missed it, I saw you had a cabin here, but are you moving here?

If so Welcome to the state!

And I know this is a dumb question, but what is the difference between an Ameraucana and an EE? What I have for EE had some name like that from the hatchery, I just figured they were EE. The hatcheries have those names all misspelled so badly, it confuses us old guys.

2. ejb3810

ejb3810 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2010
    Northern Minnesota
    Ralphie, my wife tells me that Baileys is strictly wholesale. They are the main supplier for most of the nursery centers in the Midwest. If you have one anywhere near you they should be able to get whatever you want, even if they don't stock it?

Jerry can probably answer the question regarding Ameraucana and EE better than I, as he is an experienced breeder and showman of the Ameraucana. But simply Ameraucana is a breed and EE is a crossbred of most generally Ameraucana or Araucana on one side and anything else on the other.

3. KlopKlop

KlopKlop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota

The problem is the time. I work a regular job and we would be 'homeless' while we build. My wife wants it done quicker than that and frankly so do I!

4. jerryse

jerryse Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Sparland IL
    Well not planning to move but I may become a summer resident .

Ameraucana and EE are similar . We actually used hatchery birds in some cases . Basically Ameraucana come in 8 recognized colors , have slate legs . white skin , pea comb and beards . EE usually have willow green legs and are color mixes . Any comb type but mostly pea .Often lack beards . Big hatcheries and farm stores carry EE as Ameriaucana . Incorrect spelling and mixed colors are a red flag .

5. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    One thing I've noticed with the wild blackberries. Is the critical timing of rain (for larger berries) and then sunshine...getting them ripened and such. Some years they are puny, although tasty still. and Some years ...although they are wild they are good sized and juicy. Every August/September we are picking some for our oatmeal and such. Mmmm....so good.

6. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

What about the muffs? Is that EE then? Leg color is the easiest way to tell the difference?

7. jerryse

jerryse Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Sparland IL
    Well i said beard but yes it is muffs and beard .Yes leg color helps but some EE legs look slate and other times they are slate . The best clue is hatchery birds are EE and if a local person selling can not name the color then its EE . The accepted colors are white , black , blue , buff . brown red , silver , wheaten and blue wheaten . There are project colors but the breeder can tell you all about them .

8. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    I've had 5 EE's total and one of my buff EE's had slate legs ...the rest had willow colored. But by her plumage and such and knowing my supplier (L & M) I knew I was getting a 'mixed' bird or EE. They are fun little birds too. Like a Box of Chocolates. ...you never know what you're going to get. [​IMG]

9. Araucanas do not have muffs, they have tufts and are rumpless. http://www.araucana.net/

Ameraucanas have a tail and muffs/beards and conform to the breed standard. http://www.ameraucana.org/

Easter eggers are anything that has a blue egg laying gene. Does not conform to any breed standard.

Hope this helps!

10. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    I looked at both and am still confused. A certain confirmation must be beyond my ability to understand. I have some that look like both. It was interesting reading about double "tuft" birds are hard to raise and die in the egg or within a few days of hatching.

That could have been part of my trouble getting me EE's to hatch. Or it was cheap incubators and temp and humidity errors.

I guess I need picture books like any kindergartener.

My chickens have taken to living under the deck. My DW hates it. I think it is fine. She also hates the turkeys and guineas on the deck, that does not bother me either, but I digress.

I am doing my wifely duties while Judy is at work. I have been cleaning the fridge out and I found some olives that were beyond human consumption. I took them outside to throw the birds. I saw no birds except for Ed ( the Partridge chanticleer EJB gave me). He was out in the drive just walking tall like he does. I threw the olives to him. He went nuts!

Instead of eating one he went into that weird noise he makes when he thinks he has a treasure to give his girls. All of a sudden I had tons of hens coming from under the deck to the olives. I watched him a bit and he did not eat one single olive he gave them all away. The whole time he was making that noise and prancing about like he was God's gift to hens. He is just one amazing rooster. He never starts a fight, finishes a few now and then.

One of the hens was being harassed by a turkey this morning, Ed even put an end to that...

I am so grateful EJB threw him in when I got Ole, Ole was who I wanted, Ed is 10x the rooster Ole every was. (RIP Ole)...

Last edited: Dec 18, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by