Surviving Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Bogtown Chick, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Coffee 1st

Coffee 1st Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2015

2. ejb3810

ejb3810 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2010
    Northern Minnesota
    A Very Merry Christmas to all.
    Bogtown I imagine those flock blocks might smell good enough to eat. I hope there are no meal worms in them just in case the kiddos decide to try them.

3. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    And a Merry Christmas to you EJB.

The Guys and Gals are not going to be happy today. No one is getting out of their pens today.

We are going to my daughters this afternoon and I do not want anyone left outside over night.

It should be a fun drive, It will be the two of us , my mother, two labs and a ton and half of gifts.

My wife claims she cut back, I do not believe her.

4. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    I understand it is a holiday, but it is still coffee time and I gave you all until 8:30 to sleep in,,NOW TYPE

5. KlopKlop

KlopKlop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    Good morning and merry christmas eve!

I am off today but DW is not, so that means I am doing projects! Chicken fodder should be growing by the end of the day!

6. Cluckies

Cluckies Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop

7. KlopKlop

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    My chickens are being wienies about the new snow, but I am happy! White Christmas!

8. lvie

lvie Chillin' With My Peeps

I Will but cannot do this until next week because of the holiday. They will be done for the NEW YEAR and the last family gathering with our sons'. Thank you and I will take pictures and post them - if I can figure out how which should not be too bad I think.

9. erlibrd

erlibrd Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Oct 8, 2010
    mn
    Merry Christmas Eve Everybody :)

1 person likes this.
  10. KlopKlop

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    SO i have my prototype fodder system set up finally! I had all these fancy ideas in my head and I was starting to measure wood today and realized i was way way overthinking it! at least for my first attempt!

Basically what I've got is 6 little plastic tubs and a coffee can now :) i drilled a series of holes into the bottom of 5 tubs and then matching holes into the lids. The 6th tub acts as a catchment tank at the bottom. So what happens is I stack the tubs up like in the photo (eventually each layer will be filled with sprouting seeds) and 2-3 times a day I will dump water on the top tub and it will flow from tub to tub in a zig zag with the excess staying in the bottom catchment tank to be recycled or dumped onto my other houseplants. The coffee can is used to soak the batch of seeds for the first day, then I will dump them into the first tub and start more seeds soaking. the next day, repeat again so i will have 2 tubs of sprouts growing and 1 can soaking. Continue this for 6 days and the top tub will be 5-6 day old sprouts ready for the chickens! i keep the process up and each day i will have sprouts for my chickens!
    [​IMG]

I will take more photos as it progresses! Originally i had this plan to build a rack in my basement that the trays would slide in and out of and it would be cool, but then i had 2 thoughts:
    1) what if this doesnt work or my chickens dont like it and i am out that much effort
    2) my basement is a cool 52-ish degrees or so and that is a bit chilly for growing sprouts!

If this goes well i will look into improving the system. Currently I am into this experiment for about 6 x $0.89 for the tubs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by