Surviving Minnesota!

1f320.png
oooo I want to see a falling star.

Morning all. Over slept today and have been scramble brained since. Got 6 miles from home before I realized I forgot my backpack with my laptop in it. Went back and got to work to realize I forgot my badge. About to go find some coffee and try and get my brain jump started

Last night was our last game, it was against Glen Ullin-Hebron.

We won, barely
1f602.png
I served the winning point of the game.
I also got 8 blocks, 3 kills, and 2 aces!

Way to go Layers, sounds as if you had a good game. I am a sports fanatic and quite competitive. Keep up the good work and things will work well for you.

Jerry hope you get your deer. I just saw the first deer I have seen in weeks cross the road in front of my house. The Wolves and Coyotes have pretty much devastated the population here. I suppose I should thank them, as the damage to plant material previously done by a thriving deer population is all but eliminated.

Ralphie, with Judy's health issues I don't imagine you have had time to go up and check on your cabin recently. The Sasquatches have likely taken the place over by now, but if you treat them well they will probably point you in the direction of some delectable fungi next season?

I was just reading about coop heat thoughts for which I was so very concerned about this past year, my first winter with birds. Pretty relaxed this year.

I still am using a heat lamp on for the seven week old chicks since they went into the coop. Why would you remember (its my work) that I sectioned off the front of the enclosed/covered coop with chicken wire (it is a 4 x 5 area) three weeks ago and moved them to that location from their brooder. Now the established flock can see them, smell them, and they share the same water resource. There are a few times when one of the hens has wiggled their way under the wire and lunched in the chicks area. I like that they are exposed to each other one at a time so will let it ride for a while until the hen begins to chase and peck at them. That will do nothing for pecking order in the long-time chicken flock adapting coming up soon.

Anyway - back to the heat lamp. It is supported by three different procedures because, of course, I do not want it to fall and cause a fire. It is my experienced as of late that they are not really utilizing the heat source except very occasionally on a chilly damp day.

I do not worry too much about heat in the coop until the coop temp is at about 20. I like to keep it at least 20 when it is -0 outside. They are enclosed, they are not hit by the wind and they can use each other in a huddle. I do have two CA this winter that I am a little concerned about as to whether they will weather the cold as they are not cold hardy. I guess I will be finding out.

BTW - Those CA lay a nice firm, white egg and they lay every single day. Plus they are friendly, sweet and docile. I recommend them and will more so after I see how they weather our winters here.

I was just reading about coop heat thoughts for which I was so very concerned about this past year, my first winter with birds. Pretty relaxed this year.

I still am using a heat lamp on for the seven week old chicks since they went into the coop. Why would you remember (its my work) that I sectioned off the front of the enclosed/covered coop with chicken wire (it is a 4 x 5 area) three weeks ago and moved them to that location from their brooder. Now the established flock can see them, smell them, and they share the same water resource. There are a few times when one of the hens has wiggled their way under the wire and lunched in the chicks area. I like that they are exposed to each other one at a time so will let it ride for a while until the hen begins to chase and peck at them. That will do nothing for pecking order in the long-time chicken flock adapting coming up soon.

Anyway - back to the heat lamp. It is supported by three different procedures because, of course, I do not want it to fall and cause a fire. It is my experienced as of late that they are not really utilizing the heat source except very occasionally on a chilly damp day.

I do not worry too much about heat in the coop until the coop temp is at about 20. I like to keep it at least 20 when it is -0 outside. They are enclosed, they are not hit by the wind and they can use each other in a huddle. I do have two CA this winter that I am a little concerned about as to whether they will weather the cold as they are not cold hardy. I guess I will be finding out.

BTW - Those CA lay a nice firm, white egg and they lay every single day. Plus they are friendly, sweet and docile. I recommend them and will more so after I see how they weather our winters here.

Ivie: I'm thinking with this milder November weather You may try to wean them off. Seven weeks should be good. And if they are not using it 'that much' it may be an indication they are good to go.

You sound like you've done all your checks and extra points of attachment. ( Awesome) One other point that I remember from Triplell's barn fire is she said hers started when the socket fell right out of the lamp housing. When I've used lamps-when they are cooled I've double checked that the ceramic socket was twisted in tight into the housing. When checking that you can tell it these things are so poorly made and sure enough there's alot of wiggling of the socket that made me nervous. Darn things. Another way to prevent the socket and bulb from falling away is to put hard ware cloth or chicken wire around the bulb casing to catch a hot bulb if it comes away.

I will tell you I sleep better since I've switched over to the flat panel. Every night I used that lamp I would say a prayer and wake up with fingers and toes crossed that my coop wasnt a charred rubbish pile.

I'm a nervous Nelly about my birds.
big_smile.png
But really they have become an expensive hobby if you think about it. And for me with this particular issue of safety I go forward with a little bit more expensive form of heat...to save me worry.

I think Sneaks biggest wound is possibly infected... If my grandpa is at the game I will have him come home with us and look.....
@I Love Layers I'm so sorry your horse is hurt
sad.png
I hope he heals quickly. If you have yarrow in your yard, you can make a poultice to draw out the infection while you are waiting for your vet
wink.png

Sorry to hear about your horse @I Love Layers . I hope for a speedy recovery.

I lost two Cochins yesterday early. I think it was a hawk. I don't think it realized how big they are. One practically lost it's entire wing and I had to be put down. A land predator never would have left it since she was already disabled. The other had some deep puncture wounds in her back. She went into heavy shock and I lost her. Too bad because I think I could have healed her up. I have one blue girl left wandering around trying to figure out where her buddies are. Always a bummer to lose any of my birds. However, It make me happy to see them running around free ranging eating bugs and exploring their little world.

It's so nice to see the sun today! My animals are all already soaking it up. I think I'll take my little guy out in the stroller then dig in the Halloween stash of my oldest. He doesn't need M&M's and Kit Kats anyways.....
Oh no! poor little blues
hit.gif
I have been lucky so far but the first time it happens, and I know it is inevitable, I will just be devastated!

Back
Top Bottom