Surviving Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Bogtown Chick, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Coffee: when life gives you lemons you make lemonade. You are one of those forward positive people that good things come to -- because you work towards it. I am so in love with this new place of yours and I see peace and solace there for you. No nosey a-hole neighbors, no crazy nut jobs sleeping in your coop. I see free ranging chickens and a fine home for the things that bring you comfort and joy in this quiet time of your life. Good for you, my dear. Bravo on your man joining you, but this is about you, for me...and what I see here. Bravo!

Edited to add, may your house sell faster than greased lightning!

Edited again to say you need a house warming gift of a .22 rifle now! Lol ;)

Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
  2. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    Kloppers you should join the conversation on A century of turkey talk, They are mainly people with just a few pet like turkeys, but there are a few very knowledgeable turkey people there too that could give you great hints before you get the first poult.

BTW BBB are the sweetest turkeys, they seem to be like CX's and just made to cuddle.

3. KlopKlop

KlopKlop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    When time gets closer I probably will, thanks for the invite!

I already have the base of the mobile coop ready, it was some wood i got from a construction site. 8X14 made of 2x4s with bracing.

My MIL works for the local paper and has an old tin sign in their storage she wants me to haul away fro her that will become the roof. The sides will be made up of corrugated tin i found in my grove and hardware cloth

1 person likes this.
  4. erlibrd

erlibrd Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Oct 8, 2010
    mn
    Sorry to read of your chickens getting beat up.

5. aussiegal318

aussiegal318 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2012
    Minnesota
    Coffee that is a beautiful place!!! No need to worry about getting a coop, you've got one. I'm so happy for you.

Ralphie sorry about your hen, hope she heals.

6. KlopKlop

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    Today's #MeetAChickenMonday is our beautiful Barred Plymouth Rock, Adeline! We think Adeline is one of our most beautiful hens in the flock with her fun barred black and white pattern. Plymouth Rock hens are very winter hardy and Adeline and her two sisters are our most productive layers during these cold, short days of winter. Adeline can frequently be found hanging out in our old corn crib and having a dust bath. Now that there is snow on the ground, Adeline is usually the first and only hen out of the coop in the morning to greet the day. The snow doesn't bother her! Thanks for stopping by this week to meet Adeline!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4 people like this.
  7. Cluckies

Cluckies Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    Oh no, Ralphie, I hope she (and the others) recover from their ordeal [​IMG] poor thing.

KlopKlop, she is beautiful! nice write up too!

8. Coffee 1st

Coffee 1st Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2015
    . She is beautiful...

9. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    Coffee you forgot a few things you need...

Tractor
    Snow plow
    trailer
    bobcat
    loader
    large mower
    rake for tractor
    huge roto tiller
    lots of fence posts
    wire
    game bird netting
    ATV
    Pear trees ( I need pears)
    Apple trees
    rhubarb
    gopher traps

You got a "slave" moving in, that helps. Way cheaper than a hired hand.........This is a good thing.

I think you need to enroll him in Judy's Pig castration class

10. KlopKlop

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota

Most of that list is true! The bigger the mower the better! Also add a chainsaw to the list.

In actual seriousness if you need a plow truck my S15 will probably be for sale soon. It is nothing fancy but does its job. If your man friend is handy with cars it would be a nice cheap option as I would give you the friends and family price :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by