Surviving Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Bogtown Chick, Nov 18, 2015.

1. KlopKlop

KlopKlop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    I see a couple good chicken coops there :)

2. Cluckies

Cluckies Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop

3. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    Kloppers, Turkeys are easy to care for. they are more fragile than chicks I think when young at a few weeks the poults surpass the chicks for hardiness.

Poults need more protein than Chicks to reach their maximum size. They are very attached to people fast. My turkeys follow me everywhere. They get bored fast and need stimulation.

I feed mine 23 or 28 percent starter when young. They will drown themselves in water if they have access to a larger pan/dish. They are dumb, but curious. They are fun alone or small groups. As teens the Toms are pains in the rear.

Matter of fact My Teens caused trouble today. They decided to mug Bert Jr and his girls. I did not notice it happening, but I was not outside a lot today. I went to put them in and I noticed I was 6 toms short. I had seen them over by the chicken breeding pens, but that is not unusual they go there a lot. It took a while for the last 6 tom to appear at bed time. They were rowdy and I had some trouble getting them in the pen.

I went to lock up Bert and Girls and found them beaten, bloody and scared. I put them all in their pen and one can hardly walk, I am afraid she will not make it.

I have never had a problem letting the turkeys and Bert's group free range together. I am upset at myself for not noticing this sooner. I am handling it though.

I have decided I will be down to 3 Toms next weekend. One way or another. I have placed an ad on Craigslist.. I hope they go, if not, more smoked turkey for me.

http://stcloud.craigslist.org/grd/5376945111.html

My ad.

4. KlopKlop

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    Hopefully she pulls through! those darn teenage hoodlums!

5. KlopKlop

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    Ralphie, My plan is to build a mobile hut for the turkeys and then use electric netting to create a reshapable run so that i can set the hut somewhere and make several different paddocks around it for a while, then move the whole hut and repeat.

6. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    I just went out and checked on her. I moved her into the brooder/coop put her in the center of the others.

She is either in shock or really hurt. I got to look at her bands, I was relieved to see she is not Bertha.

I would bring her inside, but I think acclimatizing her to 70 degree weather for a few days then moving her back out would do more harm than good. I just have my fingers crossed that is all I can do.

I don't want this to discourage anyone from having turkeys. It is my fault, I should have known better. I have been watching the young toms behave badly and it is getting worse daily and failed to take corrective action. I had room in the freezer. I think next year I am going to save some pumpkins for them when we get the first cold/snow. They get bored too easy. The down side to raising turkeys is too many Toms.

When they are just picking on each other I am fine with it, when it goes to the other birds, I am not. Time to have a drink to the hens health......

7. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    A covered run?

Turkeys fly..
    You have seen my pictures of them on my roof and in the trees right?

8. KlopKlop

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    Yes, i have seen the photos. I am hoping that i will be able to keep them in by providing them with what they need aka dont give them a reason to jump the fence. I have read several blogs of people who have had good success pasturing BBBs using electro netting. I could trim wings if needed i suppose too.

9. Coffee 1st

Coffee 1st Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2015
    i have never seen ducks that look like these.. LOL... but then again im just learning about things with feathers...

10. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

BBB will fly for first couple months, after that they can't. A reason for a turkey to fly can be a simple as " they wanted too" Or they saw a person and wanted to talk to the person.. or because they can.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by