Surviving Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Bogtown Chick, Nov 18, 2015.

1. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    Definetly not cause I want more!! No I would need more geese to keep up with orders!

2. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

This does little to convince me someone wanting more than 4 geese is not crazy....[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. KlopKlop

KlopKlop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    Does anybody have a roller mill or grain mill they want to get rid of, or know somebody that does?

4. holm25

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    Ralph Heidi has like ten Geese unless she sold them.

5. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    And I have like 10 cream legbars, which shows perfectly normal people can do stupid crazy things.......

6. holm25

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    We actually are talking about them right now.

7. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    I just called the state board of animal heath to find out about the NPIP testing class.

She said they have not set a date yet. but are looking at 2 classes this year, one in St Cloud and one in Mankato. (those are subject to change) I lobbied for St Cloud.

8. lvie

lvie Chillin' With My Peeps

Good morning! All is well in Big Lake. I shoveled the walks and steps, fed the wild birds, collected my one morning egg. Had a talk with my neighbor last night. I love my neighbors and therefore consider myself very fortunate. He wants to do meat birds this year. I have the opportunity to do some also if I would like to. And I would like to go through the process - once. Anyways - he and I were talking and HE was saying how I have the perfect place to raise chickens if I were to build a coop/run just behind our pole shed. Hmmmmm. So far this endeavor has not paid for itself but then I never expected that it would.

Two BA and two creamettes that are hens to add to the flock this spring. Unless they are $6 a chick - LOL. But that is what I think I need to add to keep this going.

Let me know Ralphie when you want to do that. Anytime in March. Gotta take a trip the beginning of May and I want them out in the run by that time.

9. KlopKlop

KlopKlop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota

What are you thinking for meat birds? Confined? Tractors? Pastured? Free range?

If you need some advice on tractors I would be happy to share

10. lvie

lvie Chillin' With My Peeps

The neighbor has it all planned for the meat birds - not me. He has done it many, many times - just not since they moved into this house. I know that he has a tractor built FOR ME so that the Eagles will not claim my hens this year. It just needs wheels and for the snow to disappear. I would like to have enough hens to give them eggs and have them do the meat birds for me. I think I would start with ten to twelve meat birds this year (in case any expire) just to see if the DH notices a difference and what it is like processing them. Plus the freezer space I have. If we like them and the process then we need to invest in a small freezer. My last one went ka-poot a couple of years ago.

I do have a grain mill and it is wonderful. I use it often so not willing to let it go though. Sorry KlopKlop. Not too helpful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by