Surviving Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Bogtown Chick, Nov 18, 2015.

1. erlibrd

erlibrd Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Oct 8, 2010
    mn
    He's beautiful.
    Mine go bonkers on catnip too, it's so fun to watch them. They only get it in the shop because the fur flies like crazy!

2. KlopKlop

KlopKlop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    I am planning on planting catnip outdoors this spring for the cats :)

1 person likes this.
  3. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    He is a katnip junkie!!

4. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Cluckies: I got a giggle looking at the long fur between his toes. LOL. He leads a leisurely life I see. LOL.

Awe you guys are making me want a putty tat.

Well we lost to Red Lake. Both Boys and Girls. They have great 3 point shooters up there and plus the reffing...well....LOL. But they are good.

No Bullhead fishing...but I kept watching my husband rubberneck at the lake ...little bit of twitching going on there I think.

Well I'm motivated to start pecking at our unfinished basement some more. It's high time. Getting it cleaned out has probably been the trigger. Priced some #3 tongue and groove pine panelling. I'm going to line the bathroom horizontally with it and paint it white on the lower half (sort of a wainscote--sp?) Been on Pinterest like crazy and I've been pinning corrugated steel paneling. Steam-Punk pipe bathroom lighting and toilet paper dispensers. Sliding Barn door to access our Mechanical room. Oh Gosh...it's like Christmas...being on Pinterest, getting these ideas. So the look is this sort of Barn sort of Steam Punk recycled thing I want to do. We'll see if it all flies. One thing at a time. ....Must focus.

5. Bogtown Chick

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Kloppers: Last year I took an overgrown flower garden and tore it apart and put in herbs and I ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT. I researched beneficial herbs for Chickens actually and what is good for them is good for us, too. I added italian types for cooking as well and just some things that were pretty. But it sure was nice after I'd clean out the coop to go and snip some mint and lemongrass and put it in the nest boxes and know it may do them some good or go a ways to make for a healthier environment. Very rewarding to have that little bit of dirt going to some good use.

2 people like this.
  6. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

How do u guys like the farmy coat hangers my mom and aunt made fro stuff we found all over my grandpas farm??

2 people like this.
  7. Bogtown Chick

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    That's STEAM-PUNK! Yes. LOVE IT!

8. KlopKlop

KlopKlop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    Cool! I want to try and get some good Rosemary and basil plants going outside this year then I will transplant them to the a pot for the winter, then back outside next year. I have read a guys blog who does it and he has these huge lush herbs year around!

9. lvie

lvie Chillin' With My Peeps

I would like to do this also however, they dry up quickly on me during the winter. I usually dehydrate my herbs or else hang them up to dry. That works in the nesting box also. Matter of fact - its a good idea to update the cleaned out coop and run tonight before the cold spell.

1 person likes this.
  10. erlibrd

erlibrd Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Oct 8, 2010
    mn
    Bogtown I grew lots of herbs last summer for the chickens, dried it and have a bag full I mix into the nestboxes, it smells so good and they peck at it. I throw some on the floor too because they are eating it :)

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by