1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Surviving Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Bogtown Chick, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Rhetts

Rhetts Chillin' With My Peeps

@KlopKlop I was going to ask you what kind of book or ledger do you use to keep all your farm info? I just write it all down on the big desk calendar which in the long run isn't gonna be something I can use years later to look back on. I was gonna head to town and try to find something I can keep all the farm info in. cattle and poultry and feed, eggs laid and sold, hay bales, water, calves, chicks etc. what would you recommend?

2. MinnesotaNice

MinnesotaNice Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2015
    Minnesota

Now that is funny!

1 person likes this.
  3. KlopKlop

KlopKlop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    I use some excel spreadsheets. One for expenses one for income.

Income is egg sales and I keep track of what day, how many dozen, how much money etc

Expenses I keep several tabs. Feed and supplies/bedding, building supplies, maintained etc. I keep track of what, how many, where I got it, taxes paid, date, etc. basically receipt info

I was going to write my own app to enter things but by the time I do it I would lose more time over what I would save. I can make pivot tables and graphs out of my spreadsheets anyways

Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
  4. Rhetts

I am not sure how handy I would be using an online thing. I guess I was thinking of the actual ledger. Maybe that just shows my 'behind the times' thinking. ;) But to be able to see it in graphs or visually would be awesome. (picture me with a ruler and colored pencils instead of the click of the mouse)
    I need to keep mileage too. The info you keep sounds about what I was thinking. I haven't used a spread sheet in like 20 years. Where or how do I start??

5. Rhetts

@holm25 Here is DDs blue. What a doll!

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  6. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    Wow she is alot better quality than most hatchery birds! Very pretty!

1 person likes this.
  7. SleepyOwl

SleepyOwl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2012
    MN
    Hi all, haven't been keeping up, but hope everyone is doing well. :)

All is well here. My chicks are fully feathered now, so am sure they will be find for the cold snap that's on the way. I switched from just feeding pellets, to adding my own "scratch" every day. They get a bit of whole corn, white rice and BOSS every morning, and a bit of the corn 2 hours before lights off. After a couple weeks of that I went from getting 1 egg a day (from the same hen) to 2 or 3 a day. The extra grains got two more of my girls laying. Who knew? I'm not complaining. :)

8. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Been a busy day here getting ready for the cold. I added another component to Bert Jr and his girls run. I made a real coop with a roost in it for them. I put two nest boxes I can access from the outside. I put it on the end of the run.

The girls went in to check it as soon as I opened it for them. But I went to check tonight and they were back in the old brooder part. I wanted them in the new coop. It is off the ground has a real floor and lots of cozy chips. They rejected it. 12 hours of work for nothing.

I am thinking of forcing them to go into it tomorrow and lock them out of the old part.

Took several hours to plow snow too, we got quite a bit and it was heavy!

9. holm25

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    I gotta pick up a bag of wheat or brley now thanks to the fodder threads. I have done stuff like this but always got careless and quit. But now that I have chickens I have the best reason in the world for this. So excited to try it!!

10. holm25

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    We neednpics Ralph of Bert JR. And his ladies!! And the coop!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by