Surviving Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Bogtown Chick, Nov 18, 2015.

1. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    Good morning BYC!!! I have a feeling its going to be a long,cold day today!!

2. Cluckies

Cluckies Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    Oh, that's a great idea!

Sounds like it will be just wonderful. Can't wait to see photos!

What are good herbs to grow for chickens and nest boxes?

Love it! How creative!

Sounds like they love it!

Good Morning! My phone says it will get to 1 today... I hope it gets warmer than that! :/ well off to do chores!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
  3. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    My phone says it is way too cold and getting colder.

My Thermometer is showing 5, way warmer than it is suppose to get,,,

Opps it fell back to 4.

Remember this little pullet I picked out of the Creamette pen the other day.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

When I moved her to the new coop she went to an isolation pen in the coop, just so the other birds and her could get to know each other a tad. They have seen each other through fences.

And as I say this I know how she got in the creamette pen. I let all the "chicks" free range. last summer/fall. In October I grabbed all of them I thought were CLB's and put them in the creamette pen. Obviously I am not all that good at picking out CLB teenage chicks! I am relieved to have remembered this little tidbit. It means my CLBs are pure.

But I still think Ole could have gotten to they escapee hen last summer for an hour. Either way I am 99% confident I have the mislabeled birds out..

Anyways, back to the original thought. When I checked on her last night, I found an egg in her pen, The prettiest blue egg!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So who ever it was that said she looked like she had some Creamette in her might be right. My Ipone does not capture the blues as well as it should, but hopefully you can see the blue. It looks like a creamette egg.

This year creamettes will be marked as soon as they hatch for breed and sex.

1 person likes this.
  4. holm25

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    Maybe id she keeps laying god u need to take a creamette or two and put them with oles son.

5. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

I have already thought of that. I want to up my egg production, and I like her looks. I think I can pick her egg out of the nests because of shape and color. (creamette eggs are not as pointy as normal eggs)

When I am ready to hatch I will just put the hens I want to have chicks from ( my barnyard mix ones) in a breeding pen with Ole Jr. Poor hens!

By then I will have Ed in with the Partridge Girls from Calgary. I know Ole Jr will get no chance to breed until Ed is out of the way. Ed is kind of a tyrant when it comes to letting another guy "date" his women.

6. Rhetts

Rhetts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2015
    Northern Minnesota
    What do you fine folks have planned for this chilly Saturday?

ME? Absolutely NOTHING. We have no errands or running to do. Just gonna stay home and make some quick breads to warm the tummy and fill the air with delightful smells!!

2 people like this.
  7. KlopKlop

KlopKlop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    I am taking a snowmobile ride around lunch, otherwise, staying warm inside!

DW is going to the cities with some girl friends to do one of those wine and painting class things, so I can do whatever I want!

8. holm25

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    I am gonna wait for Rhetts to post some cow pics and thats about it[​IMG] lol I'm jk its really cold with the wind.

9. Rhetts

Rhetts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2015
    Northern Minnesota
    Oh how fun for your DW! I have heard of those and how fun they are for us women folk. Hope she has a good time! And you too of course on your ride. ;)

10. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    1) There is no excuse for not posting a lot today, it is too cold to do anything, which means my coffee hour will last until noon or so.

2) I lost a creamette chick last night. I assume she froze to death, here is her picture:

[​IMG]

I went out at about 8:30 hoping to prevent these needless deaths. Dang, it is terrible to have typical Minnesota weather back. The good thing is, it was lying just like in the picture crack up and no other egg in the nest so I know it is good. I am trying to convince my DW to fry it for me now. Along with a little bacon and maybe some French toast. She seems to be resisting.

3) here are the pictures of my "coop" for Bert and the gals. It is not fancy. It is effective and cheap. It is 4 sheets of 1/2 inch OSB, One sheet 1/2 treated plywood and a few 2x3s. and 2 2x4s

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here is the simple 2x4 roost a whole 10 inches off the ground for larger than life birds.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I made over sized nest boxes for oversized hens,
    [​IMG]

Here is one of Bert's gals, I think this is Bertha, If I recall she is a toad like Bert
    [​IMG]

And here they are talking around the water cooler. these are all CX's except Bert Jr who is a toad too.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by