Surviving Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Bogtown Chick, Nov 18, 2015.

1. erlibrd

erlibrd Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Oct 8, 2010
    mn
    I am trying to think what I'll do today. Have to do some laundry other than that I think I'll make some oatmeal for the girls. Maybe bake another loaf of that beer bread. Stay in and keep warm sounds best, it's still -2.

2. KlopKlop

KlopKlop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    If they are thin plastic, like a gladware container, you will better served to melt the holes. I started with a drill on mine bins which aren't much thicker than those and had some cracking issues. Then switched to heating a nail over the gas stove to melt the holes which works so much better. Smelly but much better holes.

If i can find my old pond pump and the right supplies i might even rig up a self watering system, but i dont know if I have the right hoses for that. Nothing a trip to town wont solve if needed.

3. KlopKlop

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    My cocktail napkin plan... THe deicer is to warm the water because this will be in the basement where it is cooler. warm water will help the sprouts grow. There will also be a fluorescent light on them

[​IMG]

My pups want to clean up some leftover gingerbread from the holidays

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
  4. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    Erlibrd remember to send me beer bread!! That stuff is so good!

5. erlibrd

erlibrd Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Oct 8, 2010
    mn
    Seedling mats are good to use.

6. KlopKlop

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    Yes, but expensive. THe bins of sprouts will be sitting on a wire shelf at a slight angle to aid in draining.

7. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

That is kind of what I was envisioning. a small "fountain" pump on a timer.

8. Wow 300 posts since I last checked. What did I miss? No time to go through all those.

9. Rhetts

Rhetts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2015
    Northern Minnesota
    How large is this set up? I do not have a basement. the sprouts would be in my main living spaces but off to the side.

10. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    Klop I like your idea. I am going to start growing fodder to help with feed in take and if I am going to have goslings and ducklings they can practically live of that. But will also have starter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by