Surviving Minnesota!

I am trying to think what I'll do today. Have to do some laundry other than that I think I'll make some oatmeal for the girls. Maybe bake another loaf of that beer bread. Stay in and keep warm sounds best, it's still -2.

I plan to work in the basement a bit. I am building more storage space (shelves) and making an area for incubating and brooding small feathered friends.

I am not get any of it done, my Nieces are here so I will have to spend some time with them entertaining and re-educating them to remove the harmful effects of a really liberal arts college. I might have to have them shoot a few rounds just to remind them what fun it is.

I am going to commandeer some plastic containers she just bought (still in a pack) and turn them into a fodder farm.....( however, she is still snippy about my simple breakfast request,) so I might wait to borrow and drill holes in them.

If they are thin plastic, like a gladware container, you will better served to melt the holes. I started with a drill on mine bins which aren't much thicker than those and had some cracking issues. Then switched to heating a nail over the gas stove to melt the holes which works so much better. Smelly but much better holes.

If i can find my old pond pump and the right supplies i might even rig up a self watering system, but i dont know if I have the right hoses for that. Nothing a trip to town wont solve if needed.

My cocktail napkin plan... THe deicer is to warm the water because this will be in the basement where it is cooler. warm water will help the sprouts grow. There will also be a fluorescent light on them

My pups want to clean up some leftover gingerbread from the holidays

Last edited:
My cocktail napkin plan... THe deicer is to warm the water because this will be in the basement where it is cooler. warm water will help the sprouts grow. There will also be a fluorescent light on them

My pups want to clean up some leftover gingerbread from the holidays

Seedling mats are good to use.

If they are thin plastic, like a gladware container, you will better served to melt the holes. I started with a drill on mine bins which aren't much thicker than those and had some cracking issues. Then switched to heating a nail over the gas stove to melt the holes which works so much better. Smelly but much better holes.

If i can find my old pond pump and the right supplies i might even rig up a self watering system, but i dont know if I have the right hoses for that. Nothing a trip to town wont solve if needed.

That is kind of what I was envisioning. a small "fountain" pump on a timer.

How large is this set up? I do not have a basement. the sprouts would be in my main living spaces but off to the side.

Klop I like your idea. I am going to start growing fodder to help with feed in take and if I am going to have goslings and ducklings they can practically live of that. But will also have starter.

Back
Top Bottom