Surviving Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Bogtown Chick, Nov 18, 2015.

1. KlopKlop

KlopKlop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    The shelf i am planning to build is about 40" wide to hold 5 bins of sprouts. optimally i would have 6 or 7 bins as i have found oats to grow slower and a few more days increase the bulk. I may just set 1 or 2 bins aside to finish up if needed.

If you could create 2 layers you could get this done in 3 linear feet

2. lvie

lvie Chillin' With My Peeps

I have done some housework already and am planning on sewing on a quilt square - yea! and then we are meeting another couple for dinner at 5 at D Michael B's. I hate to go out! But life does go on. Tomorrow after church and breakfast I am not leaving the nest!

Put the heat lamp on last night. So far so good but its gonna get cold for the next week and I am observing what happens. Have upped the grains, making sure their water has the extra stuff in it. That font was the best idea Ralph - thanks for that tip! They are happy (spoiled).

3. erlibrd

erlibrd Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Oct 8, 2010
    mn
    The recipe or the bread itself ? [​IMG]

4. erlibrd

Oct 8, 2010
    mn
    Your bins must be large? I envisioned shoe box size.

5. KlopKlop

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    Yes, approximately shoebox size. except there are 6 of them

6. Rhetts

Rhetts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2015
    Northern Minnesota
    Klop how many birds are you feeding the sprouts to? How many squares of sprout for how many birds? I am thinking I might need about 3 squares for about 40 birds. So three sprout setups. Or am I not thinking right?

7. erlibrd

Oct 8, 2010
    mn
    @Holm this recipe came from the Wisconsin thread

Originally Posted by bigzio [​IMG]

Almost Noon To Everyone.... good to hear from you CS.... also glad all is good by you, except the lazy hens.

Suzie is making a big kettle of ham and pea soup....she will also be making beer bread just before we eat....it's as simple as it gets to make..I'll share the recipe again for those that would like to try it. Start to finish is less than a hour! Very little kneading needed.

3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
    3 Tbs. sugar
    1 Tbs. baking powder
    1 1/2 tsps. salt 12 ounces beer

1 egg beaten ( for wash)

Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 375. Mix flour , sugar ,baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Add beer (no sips!) and stir with a fork until just combined. Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead quickly to form a ball.Place bread on a baking sheet and confidently slit an X on top with a serrated or very sharp knife. Brush loaf with egg wash. Bake until golden brown, about 45 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.

Yield 12 servings.....also makes wonderful toast with leftovers.

bigz

1 person likes this.
  8. lvie

YOU have a recipe for Beer Bread? Not the tastefully simple stuff? Will you share it? I love Beer Bread - but the mixes are too expensive. We drink beer!
    We like beer bread! Oh - I am so excited!

1 person likes this.
  9. lvie

Well, this cold day just got a little better. Beer bread and hot turkey dumpling soup!

1 person likes this.
  10. KlopKlop

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    We have 49 birds now (after losing that barred rock) and i have been feeding 1 shoebox sized tray about 1.5-2" deep of oats (not counting the height of the greens) per day

I hope to do that every day going forwards, currently i have only been able to do that a few days a week as I can only grow about 4 pans at a time with my current 'stick it on top of any flat space in the laundry room' method and it takes about 5-6 days for the sprouts to be ready. the new setup should allow me to do daily feedings. i would say this replaces about 1/3+ of my daily feed intake. if i fed to pans a day im sure they would eat all of it but i just dont want to deal with that many pans or worry about imbalanced feed intake

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by