Surviving Minnesota!

Yes, approximately shoebox size. except there are 6 of them

I am getting some Kamut wheat on Wednesday so I'll sprout some of that, I did some late last winter. Not anything large scale like yours since I only have 15 hens. Have seed trays and 2 seedling mats that I usually put under the worm bins in the winter but didn't this year. The worms are surviving without heat.

YOU have a recipe for Beer Bread? Not the tastefully simple stuff? Will you share it? I love Beer Bread - but the mixes are too expensive. We drink beer!
We like beer bread! Oh - I am so excited!
THis is my recipe. not only is is yummy but you can combine the dry ingredients into a mason jar and it makes a great gift if you decorate it all fancy like. I combine all the dry ingredients and put them in quart canning jars and give as gifts. All the recipient needs to add is the can of beer and butter over the top of the loaf.

It originally came from allrecipes
Ingredients

• 2 1/2 cups self-rising flour
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
--OR--
3 cups all purpose flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons salt

1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
  • 3/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
  • 1 (12 fluid ounce) can beer
  • 1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9x5 inch baking pan.
  2. In a bowl, mix the self-rising flour, all-purpose flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, onion powder, and Italian seasoning. Pour in the beer, and mix just until moistened. Transfer to the prepared baking pan. Top with the melted butter.
  3. Bake 45 to 55 minutes in the preheated oven, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.

I am getting some Kamut wheat on Wednesday so I'll sprout some of that, I did some late last winter. Not anything large scale like yours since I only have 15 hens. Have seed trays and 2 seedling mats that I usually put under the worm bins in the winter but didn't this year. The worms are surviving without heat.
I do have some seed trays left over from last springs growing season. Thinking of trying to do a vertical setup. No pumps & probably no light either but I can put it near a south facing window.

I do have some seed trays left over from last springs growing season. Thinking of trying to do a vertical setup. No pumps & probably no light either but I can put it near a south facing window.
Depending how warm your house is, no additional heat is needed. I am adding heat because my basement is only in the mid 50s, and no natural light, so i am adding florescent light. I also will be moving my herbs and a few house plants down under the lights.

I do have some seed trays left over from last springs growing season.  Thinking of trying to do a vertical setup.  No pumps & probably no light either but I can put it near a south facing window.

This what I am doing i actually might make try holder on the bottom of my 4½ foot tall brooder. Or I will do this. I found it on google.

@Holm this recipe came from the Wisconsin thread

Originally Posted by bigzio

Almost Noon To Everyone.... good to hear from you CS.... also glad all is good by you, except the lazy hens.

Suzie is making a big kettle of ham and pea soup....she will also be making beer bread just before we eat....it's as simple as it gets to make..I'll share the recipe again for those that would like to try it. Start to finish is less than a hour! Very little kneading needed.

3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
3 Tbs. sugar
1 Tbs. baking powder
1 1/2 tsps. salt 12 ounces beer

1 egg beaten ( for wash)

Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 375. Mix flour , sugar ,baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Add beer (no sips!) and stir with a fork until just combined. Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead quickly to form a ball.Place bread on a baking sheet and confidently slit an X on top with a serrated or very sharp knife. Brush loaf with egg wash. Bake until golden brown, about 45 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.

Yield 12 servings.....also makes wonderful toast with leftovers.

bigz
Just printed it. Thanks!!

I tried to snap a couple pics for you all.

Nothing great but at least you can 'see' the girls.
love.gif

So I could only get undercarriage shots of the cow on the left in the group shot. I know those teats look like really small but I have to tell you they were literally non existent before so this is major change. There are 6 teats so the two in the very back are little nubbins but the other 4 are larger. Her backside is starting to get dark red and puffy just today. And she is walking like she has something caught between her legs if you know what I mean.

This what I am doing i actually might make try holder on the bottom of my 4½ foot tall brooder. Or I will do this. I found it on google.

THose are a good idea but 2 things you need to consider:
1) things that sit flat dont drain well enough
2) there needs to be lots of air or you will get mold, which is exacerbated by #1

Also, those little tray stack things are spendy! I would be interested to hear how it goes if you do, those 2 things are what i learned right out of the gate from my experiment

Back
Top Bottom