Surviving Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Bogtown Chick, Nov 18, 2015.

1. erlibrd

erlibrd Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Oct 8, 2010
    mn
    Ralphie you just built that in a few hours yesterday?? impressive!!

2. Rhetts

Rhetts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2015
    Northern Minnesota
    LOL!! you know it! [​IMG]

Yeah, I am hoping they hold out for awhile and the weather will be warmer for her and the calf. So exciting! [​IMG]

3. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    Rhetts she looks like she is about 3-5 weeks away. But sometimes they fill up over night though.

4. CXs??

5. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    I am really liking the colors in my cross roo. Will show pics in a lil' bit.

6. KlopKlop

KlopKlop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    sounds like any and every egg he can get his hands on :)

1 person likes this.
  7. KlopKlop

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    Just got in from my sled ride and boy is it cold! we planned on going much further and heading north but there is less cover on the trails up there and the wind is wicked. we ended up screwing around to the south. there are wild drifts in the ditches from the 3 inches of snow we got plus this wind. good for goofing off with and jumping over. all snowmobiles need to get some air under their tracks once in a while :)

8. KlopKlop

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    Before i left i got more work done on my sprout/fodder setup. I was looking at lights and realized i had made a fatal flaw in v1.0 I want to add one or more shelves above the fodder for seed starting and other plants. well those shelves are 2'x4' osb sheets and they didnt fit in with the stud legs i had put up. brain fart! well here is v1.1
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think i fried one of my light fixtures while i was getting it set up. it wont light now and i tested with other bulbs. I need to strip it down and look for a short or damaged connector.

I intend to add at least one more shelf 18" over the top shelf yet. DW will be happy because i currently am using the dryer and washer as plant stands.

9. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop

Good looking new coop for the girls. They say about a week to retrain the girls to a new home/coop. Yes you'll probably need to lock them in but this will be better for their feet.

You need to spring for some Tannerite for the nieces conversion I'd say!

Oh man! I am so going to break out the beer bread recipe!

Double triple attach that heat lamp. Yikes those things scare me. Have fun on your night out.

This morning I got up at 5:30 and got DS over to the school to go to a BB tournament. Was fun to watch him out there. They took 3rd. His coach has such a great way with those boys.

Had some Mexican food for lunch then home to check on my birds.

A few birds out in the run, a few in the coop. I decided to throw scratch grains and apple slices in the coop shavings so they could stir those up. I then closed the pop door. Turned on the flat panel heater. -4 for a high today. I'm assuming after they scratched and turned their litter they'd roost up. They usually do on negative days. Time to put them to bed.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
  10. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Nothing like going to the church lady cook book for the good stuff!

[​IMG]

I've made notes for those with only all purpose flour in the house on the bottom there.
    Also note the melted stick of butter that goes on top after it's out of the oven.... Omgosh! Not beach diet food.

2 degrees in the coop. Colder than hades outside! ( or -10 with -27 windchill)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by