Surviving Minnesota!

These are single barred . The bottom one is now old enough to breed . So he is the daddy of the eggs I set .

Ralphie those trailing berries are either dewberry or Alaskan raspberry . My dewberries are like blackberries only trailing .
The Boysen was a cross of the California dewberry and a raspberry . Turns out the California dewberry ( rubus ursin ) has male and female
plants . So that cross was as easy as planting a female ursin among raspberries . There are many polidy levels among brambles making things complex for crossing . I am assuming dewberry are compatible with raspberries .

Ralphie we may have to do some trading . I could graft some trees for you and you could get me starts of berry .

I am going to try and get some pictures of mine that I think are single barred.. double barred would be like a Barred rock then?

I am going to try and get some pictures of mine that I think are single barred.. double barred would be like a Barred rock then?

A single barred male will have a non barred feather somewhere that give it away . Double barred will not have that . Barring has a dosage effect making auto sexing possible .

Klop-we used field fencing and one row of electric at the bottom or snout level and they never got out.  I plan to use that area again this year so making the large purchase of fencing would trickle down through the years.  I can also use the area in winter for calves or water fowl.  

this is what we bought:
http://www.menards.com/main/buildin...4436710504-c-5769.htm?tid=4139657519157280544

I like that fencing option if we decide to go that route. Do you use metal or wood fence posts?

I had some sex link roos that were barred. They were a cross between a Welsummer roo and Barred rock hens. They were cute. I was working on Welbars but sold the first generation so never got to finish that project. I would have kept a roo and put it in with Welsummer hens but never got to it...

First generation roo

First generation pullet

Back
Top Bottom