Surviving Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Bogtown Chick, Nov 18, 2015.

1. ejb3810

ejb3810 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2010
    Northern Minnesota
    I am in trouble with the little woman again. She took two of her Shi Tzus' in for annual shot today, and they had both gained weight. She says it is because I give them too many treats?
    The third one goes in next week for precheck related to a procedure to alter his temperament. I hope it does not slow him down too much, as he is a hoot as he is now.

Hope all whose dogs have medical issues improve soon. It is not fun when they are sick or injured.

2. ejb3810

ejb3810 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2010
    Northern Minnesota
    As relates to numbered leg band, you get the size which relates to the breed being banded and use your best judgment when to install. Birds grow individually so you have to monitor for best time.
    I have not used wing bands but know many show people do. They are very good as long term identification tool. The leg bands can come off for various reasons, so one must be watchful for it. You can apply another leg band, but if you don't notice until two or more are missing it can be a problem.
    As relates to pain with wing band, I don't think it is a problem. I have read that birds do not experience pain in the same manner as mammals, but I have never had a discussion with a chicken to confirm this.

Perhaps Jerryse can give some input on this, as I suspect he has more experience with it than I.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
  3. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    If birds do not feel pain, they sure scream for no reason when they think I am going to hurt them.

It was a good day, I took Ethel out of the rafters and she did not have any birds attack me! However, my egg production was way down, I think I got 5 eggs all day.

None from the CX's and only 2 from the Creamettes.

4. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

I sure hope no one decides I need a procedure to alter my temperament.

5. Cluckies

Cluckies Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop

6. Cluckies

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    I was thinking of buying the golden feather as well, not because the site is slow due to ads (I have adblock plus so don't see any ads and the site is fast) but because I use this site alot and have gotten so much good information here that I feel that I should give back to help out. Maybe I'll go look into how to do that right now!

7. lvie

lvie Chillin' With My Peeps

Early bird is definitely a dudess. Sorry if I thought you were a dude. I did not mean to insult you! LOL. Just let it be know that I like dudes and dudesses about the same. You are allllll friends to me. If you still wanna be.

8. lvie

What? this is a site for chickens? Hmmmmm - who would of thought.

Confession: All this 'small' talk bothered me on the before site. Now all I do is laugh and join in. Amazing how the story changes when a person becomes involved. Thank dudes and dudesses.

9. lvie

Is it this cold where they live too?

10. Cluckies

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop

Last edited: Jan 13, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by