Surviving Minnesota!

I just candled my eggs!

The 28 I put in on the 2nd are doing great. I have 3 I think bad eggs, and 3 quitters. 22 that look good..

The ones I put in last Saturday have only 5 days on them so much harder to tell. One is bad for sure, maybe. The yolk appears to be on the top of the egg where the air sac should be. I am guessing bad and about half have blood vessel in them, BUT it is real early. I put 13 in on Saturday.

Being a complete chicken I left them all in.. I thought the cold might have taken a worse toll on the eggs, but maybe I got lucky.

What? this is a site for chickens? Hmmmmm - who would of thought.

Confession: All this 'small' talk bothered me on the before site. Now all I do is laugh and join in. Amazing how the story changes when a person becomes involved. Thank dudes and dudesses.

I like the banter, there is only so much we can talk about chickens and we do have other things in our lives to share.
I'm glad you became involved
hugs.gif

I have not made my mind up yet,,,,,,, But I am giving it the thought it deserves...sometimes.

Last edited:
Toe punch? Does it disfigure them? For NPIP when or how od do they have to be to get a numbered or they need to be numbered?

I use a hog ear notcher to remove part of the web at day old . The mail order suppliers sell one but it is small and you have to make sure to punch the edge . Punching further back leaves a hole that heals shut . I loose the little punches too easily . They can be shown so no effect . You can do 16 combinations . I identify pen matings this way . I do not use many numbered bands . I usually know pullets from hens so not much use for the bands .

I am going to use colored tiny zip ties this year and then go to leg bands when they are old enough. I wish I could get my NPIP license but I cant till I am 18. Dumb right?? You think they would want more 4hers getting into that but there is probably a reason.

Well, Mother, one of my SLW's hasn't been eating real well for a few days. Pretty empty crop at night. I couldn't find anything wrong with her when I looked her over. She does seem colder than the other birds, more puffed up, when it is really cold like it has been. Is it possible she doesn't want to eat when she is cold? Today it was warmer and she had a full crop at roost time...
idunno.gif
has anybody noticed this with any of their birds?

Early bird is definitely a dudess. Sorry if I thought you were a dude. I did not mean to insult you! LOL. Just let it be know that I like dudes and dudesses about the same. You are allllll friends to me. If you still wanna be.

No problem :) I like dudes but I don't want to be one :p

You know I do like the chit chat...obviously....LOL. But Ivie you are right ...there can be too much and it is nice to read about chickens on here...and their is a balance that I need and you all fulfill that for me. There's lots of chickening on here and lots of home life too.

I love cooking and crafts of all sorts....and my dog....so you're going to hear me delve into those things.

For instance I was on a chicken chatting thread which shall remain nameless and it was certainly fun and witty for a while but then it degraded down to 4-5 people with 3 or 4 word seemingly coded responses about somewhat inappropriate for this site chit chat...and although it was suppose to be funny to them ...I found it boring because it excluded so many others on the thread. And those that didn't talk in code seemed pretentious.

They were nice enough to me...but I didn't belong.

On a side note I saw my Cream leg bar sitting in a nest box earlier today. She got up when I filled the feeder and ate next to the roo. At roost time she was back in the nest box. I picked her up and she seemed off balance. It was dark and I'm sure she was sleeping. It took her a while to grab the roost with her feet. I don't know if something is up or if she was out of it sleeping....or if i'll have frozen creamette on the coop floor in the morning with X's for eyes....

Back
Top Bottom