Surviving Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Bogtown Chick, Nov 18, 2015.

1. KlopKlop

KlopKlop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    So i have my flock in 2 seperate coops, 20 in one and 28 in the other. With this cold I am considering shoving them all into the main coop as it is much better protected from the weather plus it would make my polar vortex chores quicker. Do you think that would be too stressful on the flock? i know that big buck and conrad get along as i see buck going into conrad's coop all the time. I dont want to cause any stress for them but with a several day streak with subzero highs for the day make me nervous too. the coop is 10x18 with a 12x22 semi-covered run. too snug for 48 chickens? I would probably need to fashion some temporary roosts as there may not be enough space if they dont want to roost next to eachother.

Thoughts?

2. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

I would not do it. It is a rash reaction to the nasty weather. You really need to think this through.

Twice as much moisture, make do roost. This weather stinks but it will be over soon.

I want to make some changes, but I am not going to let the fear of nasty weather rush me into poor decisions.

3. KlopKlop

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    I just see the frosty backs on my hens each morning and it makes me wonder if the corn crib coop is too drafty or cold? I know it isnt wet, i think it is from their breath when they tuck head. Maybe i should just cover more of the open walls?

4. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    I have very disappointing news. We did not get the powerball numbers.....

5. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    Maybe a little more covering would help, I think it would be better than trying to move them. Birds do not like the stress of moving very much.

6. KlopKlop

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    My DW thought she could beat you... and she did not.

7. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    When it's cold cloppers I have a smidgeon of frost on the wing in which the hen's tuck their heads. Is that what you're talking about or is it significantly more frost. ...Like say frost on a pumpkin?

8. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    I want to make some major changes, BUT I refuse to do it until the weather lets up in a week of so.

I want to move the Creamettes splitting them up and rotating in another rooster.

I want to put Sidekick and some Slate hens (3) in the creamtte pen and give them artificial light. I will put the BA's in that pen/coop too.

9. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

Give her my condolences, I guess the group trip to Australia is off.

10. aussiegal318

aussiegal318 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2012
    Minnesota
    HI all. Still alive. I made it through the holidays, working. I have fired myself again from the stores & back to professional Grandma. All 3 boys tire me out by the end of the day. I had got the new coop finished & he flock separated. Only issue is when it was wired, the outlets are on the timer also. I turn the lights off by unscrewing the bulbs. I'm hoping to get that fixed next week. I had an alpaca get meningil worms in January. It had to have come from the hay. I got another Aussie, this time a Red Heeler (Cattle Dog). Already found his passion, frisbees! Take care everyone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by