Surviving Minnesota!

I made it into work this morning, even with all the ice. There were cars all over in the ditch, but they had finally sanded when I left. Still kind of slick until I got to the main road though. It's in the 20's here today though, 27 at the moment.

I was gone for 2 weeks so missed all the usual chatter, I just picked up part way through last week.

Here is what I brought you all back. A picture of the largest wild bird I have ever seen, we managed to see not 1, but 4 Cassowary. This is a papa and his baby.

qYpRsBYjh7-iA-Egem6nzIjLOr4lUDiaWoyPDTp-Wh4pX92IB.jpg

They are super endangered, so maybe Ralphie can start breeding them, they can't eat much? Though, our horribly cold MN climate, may not work well with his Australian background? Haha, still very, very cool to see. Hope you guys enjoy!

I made it into work this morning, even with all the ice. There were cars all over in the ditch, but they had finally sanded when I left. Still kind of slick until I got to the main road though. It's in the 20's here today though, 27 at the moment.

I was gone for 2 weeks so missed all the usual chatter, I just picked up part way through last week.

Here is what I brought you all back. A picture of the largest wild bird I have ever seen, we managed to see not 1, but 4 Cassowary. This is a papa and his baby.

View attachment 1270847

They are super endangered, so maybe Ralphie can start breeding them, they can't eat much? Though, our horribly cold MN climate, may not work well with his Australian background? Haha, still very, very cool to see. Hope you guys enjoy!

I would love to have something like that...And I like the endangered breeds. However, even the Banana Belt of Minnesota may be a tad chilly for that guy.

I think I'd have to agree. I do know people raise Emu's though, and they are also Australian. I guess I don't know if that's ever in MN though?

I have my Muscovies and really, really enjoy them. They are friendly without being obnoxious. They get big enough to eat, can hatch their own, and lay a fair number of eggs. The fact they aren't as gross with their water is also something I love about them. My Buff's always tried to dig to China in the mud they made from the dishes, the scovies hardly ever do that unless a big ole puddle opens up from a bunch of rain or something.

@xXStringbeanXx Do you live right in Duluth, or a smaller town or in a township? This makes a difference as to what you can have and will want to have.

Have the SO trade the Mastiff for a turkey they are more useful and fun...

We actually live in Fredenburg (township?) on 10.5 acres. Pretty sure there are no restrictions but I’ll have to check that to be sure. We were in the city of Duluth until October so I’m still learning new regulations.

We actually have wild turkeys that we feed and hang out in the yard. They have come to my calling in the mornings to feed by flying from their roosts and running into the yard. They also like to taunt our cat by hanging out on the back deck in front of the glass doors.

Back
Top Bottom