Surviving Minnesota!

No. But I would love to have bee hives here..

I have no idea how to even start it.
I think i'm going to start watching some you tube videos and get a book to start with. We have a field of dandelion and clover and thousands of bees with delicious honey going to waste
hmm.png
I think I need to jump on that. I wish I new someone who did bees, they could keep a hive or more here, and I could learn (I learn best by seeing/doing). I got the bees and the bee food, but no hive..
My husband was worried that the bees would get the dogs, I said the bees are already here, but we are just missing out on the honey. I think they should earn their keep.

Here, if you click on this, you can see the dandelion and clover, it is a whole field, that goes on for basically the whole back yard except for some sod up around the house. all going to waste right now, except for feeding chickens, lol

Found a Bee keeping thread for newbies that started in 2010, but is still active. time to start reading! I love this site!
caf.gif

ooh, ooh, some books mentioned on the first page! ""First Lessons in Beekeeping by Keith Delaplane" I also love "The Backyard Beekeeper by Kim Flottum" and "Beekeeping for Dummies".
All should be available at Amazon.com."

Last edited:
I have had bees in the past . In your area you will need to insulate the hive in winter . In really cold weather they can starve . Too cold to move over to honey when they eat that spot . Insulation will keep it warm enough that they can move .

@KlopKlop I did not burn down the pasture that I put the pigs in. It was already huge and thick and tall when we got them. They tore the whole thing up by the time we sent them in in early November. At first it looked like a jungle with little trails running through. They looked like they enjoyed it. But it was all gone by the end. I never considered burning it first. I figured they would eat most of it.

I did try to burn where I was putting my chicken run this spring but it went from way to wet all the time to so dry we quickly changed our mines and put it out. The person who had this property before us did do a spring burn one year. I guess they had all hands on deck and did it all proper like. 4 or 5 days after they had it all put out something started back up (peat moss or an old fence post) and burned the one pasture down and into the neighbors property. The fire dept was called in and they got one heck of a hefty fine. Not good.

Cripes, it appears that you just can't put up a hive and the bees will go in there on their own. It appears you need a queen of some sort. It doesn't appear that the queen will just show up either? I may be reading up on this for a couple years, i've got alot to learn!

I wonder where the bees in my yard go to at night and over the winter?

Last edited:
Cripes, it appears that you just can't put up a hive and the bees will go in there on their own. It appears you need a queen of some sort. It doesn't appear that the queen will just show up either? I may be reading up on this for a couple years, i've got alot to learn!

I think if you put a
Vacancy" sign on an empty hive they will flock to it if it is in a good neighborhood...

If you follow them back to your hive you will find it.. I have found hives in hollow trees. And once in the wall of an old building.

Last edited:

My brother in law bought a starter set of bees that included the queen and some others just last spring. I believe they were listed on craigslist BUT they were from a great source. Actually the same people we buy our honey from right here in MN I think. I will ask him for sure and give you details when I find out.

Well we did pretty good fishing today. Got 10 Pike and 7 Crappies. Threw back some sunfish, perch and a really nice bass. But we dont ever keep bass or perch and rarely northerns.

Back
Top Bottom