Surviving Minnesota!

Ralphie, here's a duck pic to cheer you up.
My current house bird, Envy.
She does not have wall art. . but she has a mirror and a stuffie . :gig

20190808_212159.jpg

A dog has taken a gob of my birds. I had 3-5 birds that hung out by the house. All are dead and gone. These were my yard bird pets....

I think my coop is emptying out rather fast. I have the gun ready to go. Sheriff was notified. They think it could be a deputies dog, but understood I had to trap or shoot it.
(if it is is was being dog watched and ran away from sitter)...

Nothing new here, except Deer that continue to leap a 7 ft electric fence in single bound... Why can I shoot a dog that is killing my birds, but not a deer killing my garden?
I know how you feel...

A dog has taken a gob of my birds. I had 3-5 birds that hung out by the house. All are dead and gone. These were my yard bird pets....

I think my coop is emptying out rather fast. I have the gun ready to go. Sheriff was notified. They think it could be a deputies dog, but understood I had to trap or shoot it.
(if it is is was being dog watched and ran away from sitter)...

Nothing new here, except Deer that continue to leap a 7 ft electric fence in single bound... Why can I shoot a dog that is killing my birds, but not a deer killing my garden?
:rant
:hugs

BC we need a Mama update..... Praying it is going well..

I think I have a BOP munching on my birds too. I might have to stop free ranging for a while. Looking on the bright side, it would solve my problem of too many old birds. I have not let any of this years hatch out yet. I have 3 legbar egg eaters in a cage with a rooster so I won't lose them.

I have one pathetic white legbar I would hate to lose, but will accept it if I do, it is only a matter of time. He is a loner, the bottom of the pecking order. He avoids the other birds except at night. He has no toes or comb they have froze off. He follows me when I open the coop doors and spends his day closer to the house, feeds under the wild bird feeder. When I am outside he is about 15-20 ft from me just sitting and watching me. He will not let me too close or pick him up. I talk to him once in a while. He has great oratory skills.

I am headed to New Ulm today for the fair. Then to Togo tomorrow to check on the municipal sewer system. I will not be online until Tuesday I am guessing...

BC we need a Mama update..... Praying it is going well..

I think I have a BOP munching on my birds too. I might have to stop free ranging for a while. Looking on the bright side, it would solve my problem of too many old birds. I have not let any of this years hatch out yet. I have 3 legbar egg eaters in a cage with a rooster so I won't lose them.

I have one pathetic white legbar I would hate to lose, but will accept it if I do, it is only a matter of time. He is a loner, the bottom of the pecking order. He avoids the other birds except at night. He has no toes or comb they have froze off. He follows me when I open the coop doors and spends his day closer to the house, feeds under the wild bird feeder. When I am outside he is about 15-20 ft from me just sitting and watching me. He will not let me too close or pick him up. I talk to him once in a while. He has great oratory skills.

I am headed to New Ulm today for the fair. Then to Togo tomorrow to check on the municipal sewer system. I will not be online until Tuesday I am guessing...
Don't let the sasquash eat you!

BC, I hope your mother's surgery goes well, and she makes a full and complete recovery.

Ralphie, that is a large passel of cats. Looking on the bright side your rodent population should be soon in check.

We see many rattle snakes up here near Lake Superior, but they are at the zoo. Never saw one in the wild when I lived in Iowa but did see them at Ledges State Park.

My young Marans are growing well, and soon I will need to reduce the number of cockerels. I only plan to overwinter 2 cockerels to go with 25 hens and pullets.

Raspberry crop is good this year but blueberries not so good. Wish I could find a source for hardy blackberries.

Wish I could find a source for hardy blackberries.
ever try these?
https://www.fedcoseeds.com/trees/nelson-blackberry-350
Nelson Blackberry
Midsummer. Nelson has been surviving Maine winters for at least a century. Introduced to us by the descendants of Nelson Fronk, whose 1928 family photograph taken on their farm northeast of Farmington, Maine, shows the blackberries growing next to the barn.

John Meader grows Nelson and calls it “exceptionally hardy,” one of the most enduring blackberries he has ever grown. Tall sturdy upright inch-thick canes can be grown on posts but also do well free standing. Fruit is moderately large and quite juicy with true blackberry taste. Highly productive: 16-18 blossoms on the central stalk is the most John has ever seen on any blackberry. He gets four good pickings from his patch over two weeks in mid-August. Excellent jelly and good fresh eating.

Blackberries bear on second-year canes. Plant in hills (see planting info). Like all blackberries, spreads quickly so give it room. Z4, maybe Zone 3. Maine Grown. (certified virus-free well-rooted plugs)

ever try these?
https://www.fedcoseeds.com/trees/nelson-blackberry-350
Nelson Blackberry
Midsummer. Nelson has been surviving Maine winters for at least a century. Introduced to us by the descendants of Nelson Fronk, whose 1928 family photograph taken on their farm northeast of Farmington, Maine, shows the blackberries growing next to the barn.

John Meader grows Nelson and calls it “exceptionally hardy,” one of the most enduring blackberries he has ever grown. Tall sturdy upright inch-thick canes can be grown on posts but also do well free standing. Fruit is moderately large and quite juicy with true blackberry taste. Highly productive: 16-18 blossoms on the central stalk is the most John has ever seen on any blackberry. He gets four good pickings from his patch over two weeks in mid-August. Excellent jelly and good fresh eating.

Blackberries bear on second-year canes. Plant in hills (see planting info). Like all blackberries, spreads quickly so give it room. Z4, maybe Zone 3. Maine Grown. (certified virus-free well-rooted plugs)

I will give that one a try. Although zone 3 is borderline for it.

Back
Top Bottom