Surviving Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Bogtown Chick, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Cluckies

Cluckies Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    Were any turkeys hurt in the telling of this story? lol

1 person likes this.
  2. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

Which is why I go to Menards and buy those tubes of gravel people buy and throw in the back of their trucks. I think they are 2 bucks for 50 pounds and the bags are tough!

3. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    That is one of the greatest Turkey stories ever, Do you mind if I repost it to the turkey thread, they would love it...OR you could...

4. erlibrd

erlibrd Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Oct 8, 2010
    mn
    Haha nope

5. erlibrd

erlibrd Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Oct 8, 2010
    mn
    You may repost it :)

6. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    Not everything in my life is birds. I had a great find today. Thanks to the chickens.

We live in an OLD house 125 years or so, that has been added onto 5-6 times. It is not a big house still. When we moved here we added a 16x16 ft addition that we made into laundry/bathroom/closet and entry.

The ground under it has never been turned or dug to the best of my knowledge. We but a basement in, other than right next to the old basement it was virgin ground. I took the excess dirt and moved it across the drive to make a new parking area. We live in pure sugar sand. There are no rocks or stones here. nada!

Tonight as I was walking from my shed to the chicken coop, I happen to notice something lying on the ground, in the "new parking area". BR this is about 15 ft from where we sent your turkey to camp. It was so obvious to see as we have no stones here.

These are pictures of it:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have never found an arrowhead in my life. My Grandpa did when he cleared the land 2 forties over. He found knifes, arrowheads, pottery and graves. Of course that was over 100 years ago. I think this is the first one found in over 100 year here!

I looked it up online, It appears to be from 2,000-8,000 bc from what I can tell. If anyone knows more about them feel free to tell me. I am so happy with this find, My little chicken do not have to lay eggs if they dig this stuff up!

2 people like this.
  7. Cluckies

Cluckies Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    Nice arrowhead, I'd love to find one! How exciting!

8. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

One every 63 years is not bad! I am hoping I find my next one a little faster. I hate to have to wait until I am 126.

I am so excited about it, I feel like a 10 year old kid with it.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  9. KlopKlop

KlopKlop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    Sorry to be absent so long today! I spent a few hours in my workshop working on my new plumbing for the dust collection system. its coming along nicely but i need some more piping so that project is on hold until after the holiday. When i ran out of pipe pieces I decided that it would be nice to wire a dedicated plug for the DC and then install a few 3 way switches so i can turn it on and off from near my different tools connected to it. Got the wire run and boxes hung, now i need the switches.... so on hold again :)

I was still feeling productive so i put the finishing touches on the piano chest I made with my brother for my mom. I need to get some wood oil to polish it with and glue down a little piece of veneer that is peeling up and then it is ready! I will need to bring it into the house for those 2 things as they can't be done in the cold. Glue doesn't cure properly in the cold!

I am now boiling eggs for deviled eggs for tomorrow's lunch and preparing dinner rolls made with butternut squash. they are always a huge hit for the holidays.

10. Coffee 1st

Coffee 1st Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2015
    Ver
    . very cool...

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by