Surviving Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Bogtown Chick, Nov 18, 2015.

1. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    I went on a website and looked for an arrowhead similar to this one from the Midwest. The closest I could find was one called a Burroughs found in Missouri.

The shape is a "lanceolate" A leaf design.

I found the most similar one to be called a burroughs. It is listed as from the early archaic period. The period is from 2,000 to 10,000 bc. I would guess early is 5,000 bc or older. I am just guessing. I plan to take it to the archeologist at the wildlife refuge headquarters.

Looking at it, it makes sense it is an ancient one as it is not a refined design. The part where it would connect to the spear is very primitive.

I have looked at others but this looks most like it. I am learning a lot about arrowheads in last 12 hours. I find it interesting. The problem with it is the map shows them being found in Mo. Ks, Ne and southern Ia. and not from here.

I looked up the climate and Vegetation here around 5,000 BC. We were emerging from tundra and retreating Glaciers, (Global warmer was raising its ugly head) The water levels were higher here then they are now. The tamarack swamp surround my house was most likely open water. The area where our house is and the high point in the area. The swamp was most likely a lake that was part of the river. There is a few small "creeks' Through the swamp still that connect to the river.

Granted this is all conjecture on my part, and could be complete BS. The internet is great for looking this kind of stuff up, but sometimes it is bunk.

Here is the website I found the arrowhead stuff on. If you look and find one more like this one, Please let me know. It bothers me there have been no others like this one found, or reported to these sites. I will spend the day when company is not here researching it more.

http://www.projectilepoints.net/Search/NorthCentral_Lanceolates.html

2. KlopKlop

KlopKlop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    happy turkey day all! Deviled eggs are made, squash rolls are rising, and the chickens (this year's dixie rainbows) are preparing for the roaster. May your plates be full and tummies fuller!

2 people like this.
  3. KlopKlop

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    it is a bit rainy here now but supposed to turn snow very soon! stay warm everyone!

4. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

We are getting snow here now. I gave the birds a T-day treat, I threw them 3 gallons of Corn, Oats and BOSS. they are all happy, Except George who is in prison. But I even treated the prisoners with scratch!

1 person likes this.
  5. Coffee 1st

Coffee 1st Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2015
    sorry to hear about your brother.. Enjoyed the pumpkin and cherry pie I think I will also go straight for the desert.

6. Coffee 1st

Coffee 1st Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2015
    I was peeling potatoes and I was thinking about my hubby and I told him I loved him and I swear I heard him say he loves me 2. The same time I pulled this potato out of the bag... Awww [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  7. Cluckies

Cluckies Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    Awwww Happy Thanksgiving. {{{hugs}}}

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
  8. Cluckies

Cluckies Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    So,very sorry for your loss. Happy Thanksgiving, enjoy that pie!

9. KlopKlop

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    My spoiled dogs got to sit under the table during thanksgiving lunch and I was passing scraps under to them. DWs grandma made this dish with green jello, shredded carrots, and something crunchy, celery maybe. I was polite and took a scoop despite my extreme dislike of jello with anything in it besides whipped cream. I tried one nibble then tried to feed the rest to my hound. She got it in her mouth looks down and spits it out right in my crotch.... What a doll! She apparently didn't care for it either.

1 person likes this.
  10. KlopKlop

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    For our thanksgiving meal we had chicken we raised, mashed potatoes we grew, deviled eggs from out eggs and dinner rolls I baked made with butternut squash we grew. I am thankful for the ability to provide for me and mine

2 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by