Surviving Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Bogtown Chick, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Cluckies

Cluckies Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    As requested, First aid kit contents:
    Dish pan (for soaking chickens in water / epson salt)
    epson salt
    scissors
    knife
    paper towels
    towels
    Blu-kote
    Calcitrate calcium tablets
    electrolytes
    probiotics
    Dulcolax liquid Gels (stimulant free) - used to help treat impacted crop
    Self heating pad
    poultry protector
    Vet RX
    Safe-guard
    Corid
    Vetericyn VF
    Babyfood (especially sweet potato) they love sweet potato and will eat it when they won't eat most other things. I'll mix medicine in with it if needed. as they get better, I wet their crumble and mix in in there.
    or canned sweet potato (less expensive)
    flashlight/headlamp
    Syringes (many sizes)
    tubing (in case you need to tube feed)
    Bulb syringe (think baby)
    Vinyl gloves
    Vaseline
    Pinless peepers
    Personal lubricant
    hemroid cream
    Garden and poultry dust (Permethren) I don't think I paid this much, just wanted the photo.
    Bacitracin
    small feeder and waterer for large wire dog kennel "hospital"
    small dog crate inside the hospital for a nesting box if needed
    I'm going to get some of that stretchy bandaid stuff as well probably get some more monostat, I used that to treat a sour crop last fall.

3 people like this.
  2. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    Rhetts I think the guy u got them from was mistaken... But u will have babies sooner!!

Ralph maybe Bert is just shy... Did u have thr "talk" with him? I think its time if u have not I think its time...

1 person likes this.
  3. Rhetts

Rhetts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2015
    Northern Minnesota
    Thank you @Cluckies !!! You have some really great info there in your posts!!

1 person likes this.
  4. Rhetts

Rhetts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2015
    Northern Minnesota
    So is there any way of knowing a generic time frame with first time calvers?? Or am I on 24 hour calf duty for the next who knows how long till baby comes? Reading on line I gathered that the bag filling can be months before in first timers but the vulva swelling is more indicative of a sooner calf. Is that right?

5. lvie

lvie Chillin' With My Peeps

1 person likes this.
  6. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

I would be on double secret probation if I hinted this!!!!! [​IMG] But I liked it..

1 person likes this.
  7. lvie

Well I got home from my meeting in Elk River and fed the sick chickies. The one you brought me tonight Ralphie died in my hands. Boy is that a hard one. She drank some water and it formed a bubble on the side of what I think is the crop. So it wasn't swallowed correctly is what I am thinking. She kept drinking from the tube and I thought - she is really thirsty. So I probably over fed her. I feel like a killer. Terrible.

Thanks for the first aid kit list Rhetts. I printed it out.

8. lvie

SSSSOOOOOOO Sorry Cluckies. I thanked Rhetts for this list and here it was you all the time. I thinking I am tired, a little distraught and its time to sign off. Thanks for this list CLUCKIES. I do appreciate it and have printed it off. Good Night.

1 person likes this.
  9. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

Oh no.

Do not feel bad, it was going to happen. When you got them they were circling the drain, really close to the drain even..

I felt like a killer with the two that crawled under the support for the Mama Cave and died. BUT we have to remember they are chicks they die, they seem to like to die. When you think everything is going good. they find reasons to die. Thanks for trying, I really appreciate that.

10. lvie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by