Surviving Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Bogtown Chick, Nov 18, 2015.

1. KlopKlop

KlopKlop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    good morning all! i slept quite soundly last night and even slept in a bit today to make up for my ealry AM shopping trip. Chicken chores are done and brrrr it is cold out there!

I need to go to town for feed this morning. Chicken, kitten, and dog... i hope the splitter didnt max my credit card because this could be spend :)

One of my leghorn hens is in full molt and being a bit sluggish yesterday and today. she sits around with her feathers kinda fluffed a bit. she is plenty energetic to complain if i try to pick her up. I think i will try to give her some high energy food while she is still in good shape. I have some cans of old roy dog food i was thinking of feeding her. my dogs dont particularly care for it so it just sits on the shelf. any concerns about feeding that to a hen?

2. KlopKlop

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    or some poor schmuck was out hunting, tried shooting something and missed :)

Its very interesting for sure to hear about your speculations. hopefully you can get some info without getting your farm locked down as a historical site :)

3. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

Or a place only used for a generation or two as the water came and went. Darn global warming got them!

4. KlopKlop

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    The local junk dealer has an incubator for sale on an auction this week. I hope i get it! doesnt seem to be much interest in it yet. its the hard plastic kind with an egg turner. I was looking at brinsea incubators but if i can get this one for under 40 bucks i can't complain!

5. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

Is it the farm Innovator? That is the one FleetFarm sells. The egg turner itself is worth the 40 bucks! I have three of those incubators. I took the turner out of one and set it on the "pass through counter" Which thrilled Judy.

I then set my eggs I plan to hatch on the turner so they turn while waiting to go into the incubator. I can group my eggs there and decide how many of which type to put in the incubator.

I actually want a couple more turners they are so handy.

6. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop

They add extra salt to dog food and salt is a concern for chickens, yes.

7. KlopKlop

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    Yep. Couldn't remember the brand

8. KlopKlop

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    [​IMG]

Buying a little chicken feed today :)

It was 20% off so I bought 10 bags and DW got 5 in her cart