1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Surviving Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Bogtown Chick, Nov 18, 2015.

1. KlopKlop

KlopKlop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    At first I thought it was a mole but the feet and nose are wrong. Plus I don't know if a mole would go into a building

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  2. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Without looking at the head I cannot be sure but I think it is a vole. that is VOLE not mole. Kind of a Minnesota lemming

BTW I think that is an amazing catch if it is.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  3. Good morning all. A nice Sunday AM to all.

Sounds like you will have fun, Klop. She sounds like a really nice lady.

Time to brew some Coffee for me. I think we only have a pot left in the house. Big part of the errands yesterday was suppose to be getting coffee at Costco. I may have a little-preground stash around.

4. KlopKlop

KlopKlop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota

I googled voles and it maybe could be. The for was like velvet on this thing and the photos i get from Google show shaggier fur like a mouse. Maybe it was a young one?

5. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

You should never doubt me, Accept everything I say without question. I am always right! Remember these words and you will do fine in this world..

Kloppers, I think there are around a half dozen varieties of voles in the state. I have never seen one that is ragged looking. BUT I never pay them much attention and do not see them very often. Sort of like mice we have several varieties of them but we never pay much attention to them either, Just kill them or feed them to the chickens. The barn cats use to get them now and then when I was growing up.

1 person likes this.
  6. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    My vote is vole as well. Maybe had an accident with the shorter tail. Shrews have shorter tails but fur is wrong. Voles have cute little faces.

Reflectix experiment: I have frost on my windows! D***. Yesterday in the coop was 34 at roost time. I'm thinking this was contributing factor. I'll open windows today as we'll have similar temps. Shoot shoot shoot.

8. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    I cannot post photos from my phone again.

9. Waiting for the other shoe to drop is pretty scary. I wouldn't try this at home, kids.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by