Surviving Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Bogtown Chick, Nov 18, 2015.

1. I was thinking of using old server or computer fans to keep my coop cool in the summer. I suppose they would work to dry it out a bit during the day in the winter when the chickens weren't there.
    Some of my plastic looks a little frosty once in a while. But the window is good so far. I figure that is ok.

I think the reflectix idea is a good one. Maybe just a little more ventilation?

2. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    I thinking you're right BR. Time to get out the tools again.
    I had hoped my work was done.

I also think these mini thaws this time of year are a chicken keeper's winter bain.

3. Cluckies

Cluckies Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    Mornin'
    Kloppers, have fun at Gma's B-bay party. I also think it is a vole that lost its tail somewhere. they make tunnels in our grass every winter along our retaining wall.

BC looks like you just need to dry it out in there some. Maybe add sweet PDZ under the pine shavings, or add more shavings (I don't know if you use shavings) or open higher ventilation to draw moisture out like you and Blanch said. stinkin' moisture.

Blanch, lol, nice play on words... but run! lol

Got my hen cam up. I may have to move it though, we'll see. they spend 90% of their time under the henhouse. I have it out in the bigger part of the run, more room out there, so that is why I wanted it there. we'll see
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  4. Cluckies

Cluckies Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    Terrible, I agree.

5. erlibrd

erlibrd Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Oct 8, 2010
    mn
    @gofeedthegirls haven't seen you around for awhile, how's it going? get your floors all finished!? hope little red's behaving.

6. SleepyOwl

SleepyOwl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2012
    MN
    My cats catch these often. They were just playing one to death last night. I have seen the mama with one mouse, but several of these. Of course, that is just what I have seen. At least I know they are doing their job. My house cats are scared of rodents. *rolls eyes*

7. KlopKlop

KlopKlop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    Ralphie, a while back you were referring to the tree that marks the corner of a property back in the day. What was that called again?

8. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    Witness tree

1 person likes this.
  9. MinnesotaNice

MinnesotaNice Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2015
    Minnesota

Klop, saw that same deal! We bought a few bags. Fleet Farm also has heated dog bowls on sale for $14. The 1.5 gallon bowls. Great deal if anyone needs one. Ours is working like a charm so far.

Hope everyone had a great Turkey day!

10. KlopKlop

KlopKlop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    Here is my photo dump from the weekend! been busy!

Here is the first cedar planter i built for MIL. It is about 33" wide and 6" tall and deep. I have 2 more in progress. they will be sealed with a red tint sealant before use to match her deck.

[​IMG]

Our 2 sub-flocks have been integrating much more lately. check out Buck moving in on Conrads yard and pumpkin stash.
    [​IMG]

A RIR hen was feeling photogenic today. I think she will probably be tomorrows #MeetAChickenMonday. Will have to work on the write up tonight. Her name is Florence.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by