Surviving Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Bogtown Chick, Nov 18, 2015.

1. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

I had to run to Menards and TSC in Elk River. Just got back, I went to work outside but I froze my little behind off....( or not so little behind such as the case is)..

I came in to put on some insulated coveralls. That wind is terrible. It feels like 10 below out there and the temp is 29.. above!

I need to go back and get some stuff done. But I am waiting 10 minutes to take my next pill. ( I could take it early, but waiting for the pill sounds responsible and keeps me warmer)

shawluvsbirds likes this.
  2. ejb3810

ejb3810 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2010
    Northern Minnesota
    Bogtown, I like the age being a state of mind concept. I always tell people that I think I look pretty good for a guy who is 95! Too bad I am only 37.
    Ralphie, it aint fit for man nor beast out there. I think you would do well to stay indoors and indulge in hot chocolate with some schnapps added. After three or four of those you will say " I think that can wait til spring".

3. lvie

lvie Chillin' With My Peeps

And I never told my kids 'no.' I read this article in Readers Digest about thirty five years ago. It said to find ways to say yes. Yes, I will drive you to David's as soon as . . . . . . I will do this and yes, you can do that as soon . . . . It was great. One of our sayings is from a grandson who never asked Whhhhhyyyyy. Instead he would say Why Not? So that is what we say now. Well, Why Not? its a great way to ask Why in a more positive voice. This really worked with them as teenagers. They could do whatever they wanted - the answer was always Yes! after I got what I wanted. They are great adults. Brag, brag, brag.

4. lvie

Now that is a true procrastinator! Just went out to get the mail. Yikees! Burrrrrrr. Checked on the birds and I keep telling them how lucky they are that I take such good care of them. They are in a nice, roof covered, plastic covered run with lights and allllll kinds of goodies.

5. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Isn't that funny about these threads. I didn't think ivie was a grandma. And I was sure ejb was retired. Lol. Funny.

I was going to walk the dog tonight but with the snow all the hunters are in the woods and the single digit wind chill and my weather app tell me the next few days will be better for a walk.

Running out to do chickens.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
  6. KlopKlop

KlopKlop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    Off I go into the 'tundra'

My chickens will be glad for me to come home and feed them :)

7. maplebendfarmmn

maplebendfarmmn Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2014
    Hi all! We have a small hobby farm in Tamarack, MN. Currently we raise meat and egg chickens, BBB turkeys and indian runner ducks. I am looking at getting into Midget White Turkeys instead of the BBB. Anyone know of any breeders?

8. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

Is your nose growing?

I am so fricking cold.... Can I say Fricking on here?

I got a few things done, but everything takes longer when it is cold. I made a feeder and feeder stand in the shed. I have no heat in there, but it was not that bad out of the wind. BUT outside was terrible.

I think this will be a schnapps night. I had on long johns and insulated coveralls and I am still froze. I wore my winter mucks for the first time this year.

My great waterer plan has failed already. I plugged one of them in but I can see failure on my homemade waterers. Maybe tomorrow it will work.

I need to add more roosts to the turkey house. 20 turkeys do not seem to think they can all fit on 32 linear feet of roosts. A few want lower roosts. Some want to be outside in the wind. Turkeys are not smart. Ginger fell off the roost a dozen times or more. The roost is 11 1/2 inches wide and it can not stay on it.

I wonder if the birds can make it to July without water?

shawluvsbirds likes this.
  9. lvie

Don't know any breeders but then I am fairly new at this. Welcome to this thread and come back again.

10. lvie

Does Mikes taste good as a hot drink? LOL Helps warm up the body from this cold wind. Gotta go check on the birds. ahhhh - not yet. Since I put that 40 watts in the coop they are active til at least 7:00. Then I take them off of the top of the coop and put them inside. They cluck and purr and tell me 'oh yeah, we forgot again. Thanks'

Was okay for me to say my washer keeps telling me to F3? Repair coming this next Tuesday.

My boys are older than ejb??????,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by