Surviving Minnesota!

Actually, they have 5 listed.  LOL  They must want to get done in a hurry.

Don Karasek and John Thomforde, I know who they are.  The others only from publications are Gary Rossman, Tim Bowles, and Jacob Bates.  Maybe it will be a pretty good sized show if they have that many too.  I know there are a lot of breed meets this time.  We shall see.

I must have missed one! I wonder how many entries there were?!

I am also excited for hutch! I was hoping to show my Speckled Sussex and Orpingtons this year but we decided to wait until the next. Still going for the fun!

Related question-- does anyone know the standard for Orpingtons? Could I show my Lavender orps at Hutch? I did show them at the local and county fairs without a problem but I'm unsure about the hutch show since they aren't a recognized color yet.

Also-- I have two lavender orp cockerels, which is better standard? At the show, (when they were about 3 months, they are now 7ish months) the judge just told me that the 2nd cockerel was "better" but the other was more mature. Now they are both quite mature, but they have very different body types, personalities, and color. A man (not sure if anyone knows him... Ron Gilbertson) at the Clay county show told me that I'd have a chance and let me know about hutch, gave me a entry form and everything. Super nice! We were the only ones competing in open class and I'm guessing he had about 50+ birds there (8 in almost every category!). You can't see in the pictures but the winning LO has light tan legs and the other has dark grey legs... is this a factor in judging?

Above is my winning LO cockerel, the "better" one. Below is the other "more mature" LO cockerel with some red sex links- the only pictures I have of these guys at the moment.

...Thanks in advance to anyone who can answer!!

For all of you going to hutch. If you see any good LF Blue, black or splash Cochins could you get a number or email of them for me? Just looking for next spring

I am also excited for hutch! I was hoping to show my Speckled Sussex and Orpingtons this year but we decided to wait until the next. Still going for the fun!

Related question-- does anyone know the standard for Orpingtons? Could I show my Lavender orps at Hutch? I did show them at the local and county fairs without a problem but I'm unsure about the hutch show since they aren't a recognized color yet.

Also-- I have two lavender orp cockerels, which is better standard? At the show, (when they were about 3 months, they are now 7ish months) the judge just told me that the 2nd cockerel was "better" but the other was more mature. Now they are both quite mature, but they have very different body types, personalities, and color. A man (not sure if anyone knows him... Ron Gilbertson) at the Clay county show told me that I'd have a chance and let me know about hutch, gave me a entry form and everything. Super nice! We were the only ones competing in open class and I'm guessing he had about 50+ birds there (8 in almost every category!). You can't see in the pictures but the winning LO has light tan legs and the other has dark grey legs... is this a factor in judging?

Above is my winning LO cockerel, the "better" one. Below is the other "more mature" LO cockerel with some red sex links- the only pictures I have of these guys at the moment.

...Thanks in advance to anyone who can answer!!

Beautiful birds and photos of them...well done.

I believe the sign up for hutch had to be post marked yesterday, right... @duluthralphie ?
@holm25 ?
@Minniechickmama ?

Yep! I know you'd have to sign up by yesterday- we decided not to go this year. All questions I'm asking are for reference to next year! :)

And thank you, Bogtown Chick! The LO roo has just started to "attack" (more like running pretty slowly at her and punching her in the shins with his feet) my mom and a few neighbors when they run! :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom