Surviving Minnesota!

G morning all.

I say that video is a set up. Fake.

Oh You disbeliever you!!! Why would you say that?

The guy on the thread claims it is real. I find that a very brazen bobcat.

I am down to 2 toads from the last hatch. One decided to take the long nap yesterday morning.

Nothing new to report. I need some tent/landscaping stake from Menards' ad to return the camera I got there. Can you say piece of trash?

Then back to work on fencing as long as the weather remains decent.

If you don't have an original thought or post..
proxy.gif
th111121.jpg

Good morning folks! I live up in Hugo, north of white bear lake. We are looking to get a coop and everything ready to go in 2018 to start raising layers in 2019. I'm deciding on coop plans and settled with an easy access basic design that allow for easy cleaning as well.

As far as cold weather, I plan on using the ventilation method, along with flat roosting bars to protect their feet. And deep layer mulch(might not be right term) for For their run, the coop will be kind of hooked into my large garden, but it's fenced in. I also plan giving them access to my compost bin. I have a large 1000sqft of raised beds that will eventually become 3000sqft of raised beds over the next 5 years - so we need to be generating lots of compost with nutrient rich poop!

Anyway, that's where I'm at now. I'm also planning on a large run in the event that I need to keep them penned up for any reason (and the initial growing period). Initially, I plan to feed store bought, with the intentions of growing their food in the future.

Is there anything that you wished you'd thought of or considered before having hens? I'm still in the planning phase and would love to hear some advice from seasoned keepers.

PS: I'm thinking 6 hens to start (not breed picky, just want good layers that tolerate cold temps and a mix of white and brown eggs), with the ability to expand to 10-12 hens after a year or two.

Edited for spelling

Good morning folks! I live up in Hugo, north of white bear lake. We are looking to get a coop and everything ready to go in 2018 to start raising layers in 2019. I'm deciding on coop plans and settled with an easy access basic design that allow for easy cleaning as well.

As far as cold weather, I plan on using the ventilation method, along with flat roosting bars to protect their feet. And deep layer mulch(might not be right term) for For their run, the coop will be kind of hooked into my large garden, but it's fenced in. I also plan giving them access to my compost bin. I have a large 1000sqft of raised beds that will eventually become 3000sqft of raised beds over the next 5 years - so we need to be generating lots of compost with nutrient rich poop!

Anyway, that's where I'm at now. I'm also planning on a large run in the event that I need to keep them penned up for any reason (and the initial growing period). Initially, I plan to feed store bought, with the intentions of growing their food in the future.

Is there anything that you wished you'd thought of or considered before having hens? I'm still in the planning phase and would love to hear some advice from seasoned keepers.

PS: I'm thinking 6 hens to start (not breed picky, just want good layers that tolerate cold temps and a mix of white and brown eggs), with the ability to expand to 10-12 hens after a year or two.

Edited for spelling

Good Morning and welcome to the thread and BYC..

Why are you ruling out green and blue eggs? Also, and I know some will find this self serving, but Why farm store birds?

You will get a hatchery quality bird when you could get a better quality bird from any of us that hatch for the same or less money and not have as high a chance of disease coming in.

Even though I am no long going to hatch for others, I will have birds for people from here as I know most of us will.

What type of soil to you have our east? (I am straight west of you) I have sand here and have had no luck with the deep mulch method. It just holds water and smell. Some how it is blocking the drainage in my runs that had it.

As far as cold weather, I plan on using the ventilation method, along with flat roosting nears to protect their feet. And deep layer mulch(might not be right term) for For their run, the coop will be kind of hooked into my large garden, but it's fenced in. I also plan giving them access to my compost bin. I have a large 1000sqft of raised beds that will eventually become 3000sqft of raised beds over the next 5 years - so we need to be generating lots of compost with nutrient rich poop!

You should have known I was posting, if you are claiming your posted a whole minute after mine was written at the same time.....View attachment 1118001View attachment 1118001 View attachment 1118001 View attachment 1118001 View attachment 1118001 View attachment 1118001 View attachment 1118001 View attachment 1118002
Maybe I didn't bother to look at your post because they are all full of nonsense anyway.

Good Morning and welcome to the thread and BYC..

Why are you ruling out green and blue eggs? Also, and I know some will find this self serving, but Why farm store birds?

You will get a hatchery quality bird when you could get a better quality bird from any of us that hatch for the same or less money and not have as high a chance of disease coming in.

Even though I am no long going to hatch for others, I will have birds for people from here as I know most of us will.

What type of soil to you have our east? (I am straight west of you) I have sand here and have had no luck with the deep mulch method. It just holds water and smell. Some how it is blocking the drainage in my runs that had it.

I never said where I was getting chicks - Only that I was feeding them store bought blend initially. I'd rather get them from somewhere local!!

It's loamy. I'd say slightly more sand, but I've had great success using a similar method in my raised beds. The run will be attached to the compost bin (which will be on the far end, and the coop will be on the other side). I haven't decided in dimensions of the run, as I only plan on it being a temporary holding place. I intend for the hens to be free run in the garden to help with pests.

Back
Top Bottom